So Geforce 4 Ti4200's are good for editing then?

This forum is for help with and discussion about your video hardware.

So Geforce 4 Ti4200's are good for editing then?

Postby Legend Killer » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:31 am

Hi everyone. This being my first post 'n' all, I'll make it quick.

I'm in the market for a whole new system, and have been seriously considering the GF4 Ti4200 cards as I want the best of both worlds when it comes to gaming & editing.

I was just wondering if anyone would care to enlighten me if they are in fact decent for editing/capturing/gaming, or just a steaming pile of dog turds....

Cheers,
LK
Legend Killer

Postby ErMaC » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:56 am

As far as I know the only geforce cards that come with capturing are the old Asus ones or the ones currently based off the Nvidia Cinema package thingies with the breakout box and stuff.

The video card itself has almost nothign to do with video editing - they simply display stuff on a screen in 2d. I use dual monitor with a TNT2 Ultra and a Rage IIC pci board.
ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG

Postby Legend Killer » Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:25 pm

What about the ones with 'My ViVo'? (My Video In My Video Out) Seeing as it has a "Video In", I thought they might be cards that you can digitize video/audio with.

I actually do want the GF4 with the Personal Cinema breakout box, but at the moment I can get a really good deal on an excellent PC with a Leadtek GF4 64 meg w/ My Vivo capabilitly, rather than build my own design from a list of desirable parts.

And (as always) as money is a big factor, I want the best bang for my buck.
Legend Killer

Postby klinky » Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:28 pm

The is that now adays if you can stay away from capturing analog source, the better off you are. A DVD will most likely always provide better image quality, take up less space and is easier to get working then fiddling with getting your capture card to recognize properly in the computer and capturing with out dropped frames.

So if at all possibly just use a DVD drive.

~klinky
klinky

Postby Legend Killer » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:03 pm

Good point.

I suppose it would be better to just rip footage from a DVD & edit it using Adobe or the like.

Whats would be a good combo of programs for the creation of AMV's - editing/ripping?

(Sorry to be asking so many questions!!)

I actually used to be an editor in a television station (so I know a bit about editing), but I have absolutely no clue as to what I need to use @ home.
Legend Killer

Postby klinky » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:03 pm

ErMaC has a link to his guide there for ripping and using DVD's with Premiere.

~klinky
klinky

Postby Legend Killer » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:28 pm

Thanks for the tip off.
Legend Killer

Postby NME » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:46 am

i'm getting one of those with my new comp tomorrow *Drools*
nil per os
NME

Postby Hitori » Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:08 pm

DVD ripping is better
ImageImage
Hitori

Postby NME » Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:48 pm

yes, in this case dvd ripping is inf. better.
nil per os
NME

Postby Ikasu » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:34 pm

I want to DVD rip...But the idiots who configured my Dual Processor system have everything jacked up....I'm gonna sell this computer and get a better one from my friend....Hopefully I can sell this pc for 2,400....The specs of this pc are just insane.....But damn that configuration...
Ikasu

Postby klinky » Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:36 pm

Ikasu wrote:I want to DVD rip...But the idiots who configured my Dual Processor system have everything jacked up....I'm gonna sell this computer and get a better one from my friend....Hopefully I can sell this pc for 2,400....The specs of this pc are just insane.....But damn that configuration...

Dude what the fuck is wrong with your computer. I don't care that your computer sucks. Fix It :twisted:

~klinky
klinky

Postby Legend Killer » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:40 pm

Well, I finally got my new puter & it rocks!

Its got both a GF4 Ti4200 & a DVD/burner combo drive.

Hope to make my first AMV soon.... :)
Legend Killer

Postby alternatefutures » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:38 pm

Actually, if you can get a non-Macromedia feed from a good DVD player into a video card that captures real-time non-compressed footage, would that not have better quality than a pure DVD rip simply because of the hardware filters present in DVD players?
alternatefutures

Postby klinky » Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:26 am

alternatefutures wrote:Actually, if you can get a non-Macromedia feed from a good DVD player into a video card that captures real-time non-compressed footage, would that not have better quality than a pure DVD rip simply because of the hardware filters present in DVD players?

You mean macrovision.

I believe that would be "possible", but most any filter that the DVD player or the capture card does can be done in software. Also finding a card that captures realtime uncompressed would be hard, though huffYUV is a option. I believe it's easier to just rip the DVD and get to work, rather then getting exspensive high-kwality cables, worry about macrovision, not have all the footage I may need. Which in the end it probably won't look any better and has the high probability of looking worse.

~klinky
klinky

Next

Return to Video Hardware Discussion