is this computer fine for editing?

GH
Org Profile

is this computer fine for editing?

Post by GH » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:55 pm

my computer is on the verge of crashing, and i'm sure it'll be gone within the next month; i'm in the process of backing up all my files into an external. but, i've been looking for a new computer to replace it, and last night i came upon:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883113124

i was planning to buy it, but it seems suspiciously cheap. all twelve reviewers gave it a 5/5 other than one of them.
Gateway SX2840-01 Intel Core i3 530(2.93GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB Intel GMA X4500HD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
i'm not really educated when it comes to computer specs, the only thing i can interpret is that it has 6gb ram, 1tb storage, and it's a windows 7. (i'm also guessing the 64-bit is okay, because my current is only a 32.)
is any of the other stuff listed good?

thannk you.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: is this computer fine for editing?

Post by Kariudo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Looks good to me. I'm not really one for Gateway or Dell, but that's more from a tweaking/upgrading point of view.

The Core i3 530 is a dual core cpu with hyperthreading (which means it can act like a quad core). With most modern NLEs you should be more than fine with a dual core.

6GB DDR3 1333 is nice, the 1TB hard drive is probably a Western Digital one (I haven't had any problems with WD drives). The Intel GMA X4500HD is the graphics chip. It's integrated, which means it'll probably be taking some of your 6GB of ram (you'll probably see 5.75GB available when it boots up). Integrated graphics is fine for editing, but if you want to play any recent-ish games you may want to look elsewhere.

64-bit is fine. In fact, you need a 64-bit OS (and 64-bit cpu, which the i3 530 is) to be able to use more than 4GB of ram. The only problem you might run into is some of your programs not working, but that's more of a windows 7 thing. Windows 7 64-bit can still run 32-bit programs (except in certain instances, like premiere pro 1.5 won't run on my windows 7).

GH
Org Profile

Post by GH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 pm

thanks for the response. based on your input, i think i'm going to follow through and buy this someday soon. i doubt i'll end up getting into gaming, so any regards to that probably won't be much of a problem. it's good to hear that windows 7 64-bit can still run 32-bit; then i'm guessing most versions of sony vegas should run properly.

also, what exactly is a western digital drive, and are there any potential cons to having one?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 am

Western Digital is one of the big HDD making companies (along with Hitachi, Seagate and Samsung). For your situation, there really shouldn't be much of any difference between a WD drive and a Seagate one (or Hitachi or Samsung). Every now and again there will be an HDD model that is junk, but I haven't heard any bad stories about any manufacturer lately.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”