cheap MPEG-2 encoders

Quu
Org Profile

cheap MPEG-2 encoders

Post by Quu » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:26 pm

has anybody messed with direct Analog->mpeg-2 solutions?

Adpatec's VideOh! DVD/PCI
Sigma Design's Realmagic DVR
Dazzle's DVC 150, DVC-II, or DCS-200
Pinnacle Systems DC1/2000
Canopus DVStorm2
DVD Cut Machine
Others?

I am looking form soemthign ti simply capture analog video dorectly to MPEG-2, and allow me to trim leader and footaer off of that captured file...

I have used the Pinnacle DC1000 and it did it perfectly... but cost alot of money.
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

hackerzc
Org Profile

Re: cheap MPEG-2 encoders

Post by hackerzc » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:49 am

Quu wrote:has anybody messed with direct Analog->mpeg-2 solutions?

Adpatec's VideOh! DVD/PCI
Sigma Design's Realmagic DVR
Dazzle's DVC 150, DVC-II, or DCS-200
Pinnacle Systems DC1/2000
Canopus DVStorm2
DVD Cut Machine
Others?

I am looking form soemthign ti simply capture analog video dorectly to MPEG-2, and allow me to trim leader and footaer off of that captured file...

I have used the Pinnacle DC1000 and it did it perfectly... but cost alot of money.
I have no clue what you are trying to do but let me ask you a question.
Can those high end Pinnacle cards use VirtualDub for capture and Huffy and stuff? I'm trying to find something better then what I have for my next system. Right now I am using an ATI All in wonder card. I have S-Video, Composite, Coax, all this crap for input and output, and the newer model (9700 Pro) even has component. SO exactly what is the advantage of that card over the ATI? Just curious.
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:12 pm

most high end cards can't use birtualDub to capture... since they don't use video for windows to work in...

and some of them can't even use directX... you must use thier own drivers...

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:15 pm

Quu wrote:most high end cards can't use birtualDub to capture... since they don't use video for windows to work in...

That not good. Cause I need to beable to capture and work with lossless AVI's. And I prefer capturing to ripping becuase it is way faster, and cut's down on time come pre-processing.

Thx.
John Westbrook

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:44 pm

On the subject of Pinnacle's cards, they capture into their own propreitary codec. For example, I believe the DC1000 captures into loseless MJPEG or DV, something like that. Quu, what do they capture in?

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:09 pm

depends on the card...
DC10+ - Stanrdard MJPEG ( not SLI like the targa 1/2000)
DV500 - DV... which is compatible with the DirectX8.1 dv codec
DC1/2000 - propriotary MPEG-2 solution. it can also read DVDs if done right
Targa3000 - uncompressed

of the compressed ones... the dc1000 is the best... it uses MPEG-2 to its full extent.... and has a 4:2:2 colour space when useing IPP... can edit IBBP video (dvd type) also

even though all the cards use a proprotary codec... the codec in all except the dc1000 are compatible with other things... and if you edit in IBBP mode on the dc1000 then its fully compatible with everything... since its a pure mpeg-2 video stream

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:10 pm

if you want cheap and lossless... get a PCI ATI all in wonder 128

then use virtualdub to capture
hackerzc wrote:
Quu wrote:most high end cards can't use birtualDub to capture... since they don't use video for windows to work in...

That not good. Cause I need to beable to capture and work with lossless AVI's. And I prefer capturing to ripping becuase it is way faster, and cut's down on time come pre-processing.

Thx.

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:25 am

Quu wrote:if you want cheap and lossless... get a PCI ATI all in wonder 128

Well I'm already using somethign way better then that now. AGP4x ATI All in wonder Radeon 7500. And untill something better comes along, I plan on getting the 9700 Pro (has twice the DDR ram, supports 8xAGP and has component output) for my next system.

Price is not an issue. I'll pay $2000 for a card if it will do what I want. And what I want is a lossless capture format that I can use in premiere.

MPEG sucks for editing. It's lossy, and it takes more PC resources to use it (because of decoding and encoding while editing).
John Westbrook

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:28 am

Please be carefull with your generalizations.... ^_^

MPEG-2 is an incredibly flexible standard... and can scale to suport many things. MPEG can acheave a higher quality than DV. yess its lossy, and takes alot of processor power... but that is why companies make dedicated hardware to handle it... please be more carefull before you sayit sucks for somethingg... with out knowing its full ability... do not think a DVd is the pinnacle of MPEG-2... its actuallythe lowest quality implimentation of it.

if you want a lossless capture card, that works with premiere and kicks much ass... then simply buy a Targa 3000 for $5k.... not only it is an uncmopressed codec based card... it is also a real time card... and you can mix and match dv footage and uncmopressed footage.... and it works nativly with premiere....

if you trully are willign to pay anything.... then there is no reason you should not have a Targa 3000 based system...

the reason i had suggested the AIW 128 pci version... is that so you could put a gamign card in the AGP slot... and keep the AIW in the pci. this allows you to upgrade yoru video with out changin your capturing...
hackerzc wrote:
Quu wrote:if you want cheap and lossless... get a PCI ATI all in wonder 128

Well I'm already using somethign way better then that now. AGP4x ATI All in wonder Radeon 7500. And untill something better comes along, I plan on getting the 9700 Pro (has twice the DDR ram, supports 8xAGP and has component output) for my next system.

Price is not an issue. I'll pay $2000 for a card if it will do what I want. And what I want is a lossless capture format that I can use in premiere.

MPEG sucks for editing. It's lossy, and it takes more PC resources to use it (because of decoding and encoding while editing).

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:39 pm

Quu wrote: Blah Blah Blah Blah, MPEG-2 if best, blah blah blah, Targa 3000!
Targa 3000?

oooohhhhh aaaaaahhhhhhhh

Freaking A! I guess instead of getting the Hummer H2, I'll get this.

(No I'm not rich. I just have $500 a month that does nothing. So this will give me something to save for) In two years or so when I am ready for a new system, the price will probily be lower also!)
John Westbrook

Return to “Hardware Discussion”