Compressing my avi files further

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Fizziks
Org Profile

Compressing my avi files further

Post by Fizziks » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:16 am

Hi everyone.

A while ago I extracted video footage from my DVD's, turning them into avi files with the lagarith lossless codec. The files work fine with all my editing programs. However, hard drive space is starting to become a premium on my computer, and these files run upwards of 25 to 28 gigs.

So my questions are, is there any way to further compress these avi files without losing video quality, or do I have to bite the bullet and get another hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:26 am

Nope. Video compressed with lossless codecs is always huge; if you want to save space, you're gonna have some loss of video quality.

That's why, if you can, you usually want to save only the clips you need as lossless AVIs, rather than entire episodes.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Fizziks
Org Profile

Post by Fizziks » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:24 am

Scintilla wrote:Nope. Video compressed with lossless codecs is always huge; if you want to save space, you're gonna have some loss of video quality.
Yeah, I had a feeling that was going to be answer. Looks like I'll have to get a new hard drive for Christmas. :) Anyways, Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:21 pm

What are you editing with? Would AVS scripts work in place of an actual AVI?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Digitalmaster3605
Org Profile

Post by Digitalmaster3605 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:34 pm

Well, you could just use the .vob's that you ripped, and VFAPI to make fake .avi's, and they'll be of smaller size than the lag files. It should work in whatever you're using to edit. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 251#760251 Read Janzki's post.

Fizziks
Org Profile

Post by Fizziks » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:19 pm

Digitalmaster3605 wrote:Well, you could just use the .vob's that you ripped, and VFAPI to make fake .avi's, and they'll be of smaller size than the lag files. It should work in whatever you're using to edit. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 251#760251 Read Janzki's post.
I think I may give that method a try. Thanks.

Fizziks
Org Profile

Post by Fizziks » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:14 pm

Fizziks wrote:
Digitalmaster3605 wrote:Well, you could just use the .vob's that you ripped, and VFAPI to make fake .avi's, and they'll be of smaller size than the lag files. It should work in whatever you're using to edit. http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 251#760251 Read Janzki's post.
I think I may give that method a try. Thanks.
Hmmmm, I tried out that method that Janzki posted, and so far it seems to work. My editing software seems to accept the fake avi's, but I'll probably try exporting a small piece of the fake avi just to make sure. If I encounter anymore problems I'll let you guys know.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”