DivX 5.03

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:07 pm

1. yes, there was a pretty large difference between the second and third pass, and the third and fourth, etc up until the 6th pass which was the last I felt like doing. Actually I think its a good idea to include multiple passes for extra quality, I mean, its arguable that a multipass encoder will do a better job than a 2pass, even if 2pass is good for general use.

2. RV does not use any kind of preprocessing or filtering. The only thing about the codec that cant be adjusted is the postprocessing, which uses a variable quant based filter, as in, it smooths on low quants and leaves high quants alone.

3. I'd really like to gary but ive no hosting and theyre too big and numerous for geocities to be useful here :x

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:56 pm

until i can realibly convert RM -> uncompressed AVI.... i don't like it...

the frame grabber is sketchy at best

maybe with the Helix code beling relased we might get some RM -AVI programs.... but... I like to be able to edit...
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:37 pm

pfft you dont need to be able to edit RM, its meant for distribution final encode and it does a good job of it. Besides, you cant edit divx or xvid :\
EOvideo is a reliable converter that dosent just capture frames to my knowledge

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:05 pm

PSH, well, forget everything I said about DivX 5.03. Somehow they managed to get their decoder into the actuall vfw decoding instead of just directshow, so, the vdub analysis was innacurate in that DivX was being postprocessed where the others werent.

Without the postprocessor its just as blocky as XviD :\
the image comparison will be up in an hour or so

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:17 pm

on second thought ill put up the images tomorrow dont feel like scripting 70 pictures worth of html right now after copying pasting and saving 70 pictures from vdub ~_~

5 images, 7 codecs, 2 modes (postprocessed and not) = 70

Dugan
Org Profile

Post by Dugan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:23 am

Which quantisizer (HS263 or MPEG) did you use in the Xvid test?

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:15 pm

all the defaults AD specifies in the guide, including the H.263 quantizer which I always use anyway for anime :\

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:54 pm

RadicalEd0 wrote:on second thought ill put up the images tomorrow dont feel like scripting 70 pictures worth of html right now after copying pasting and saving 70 pictures from vdub ~_~

5 images, 7 codecs, 2 modes (postprocessed and not) = 70
So when ya gonna put 'em up :D

Actually I am looking forward to seeing your results, and I agree RM/RV is very good despite the many crappy encodes out there.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:22 pm

I'm not at home this weekend, but while I was home in the past few days I'd been waiting for dreamweaver to download so I dont have to script all those fucking images. Unfortunately eDonkey is slow as hell. Sorry, I want to get them up as much as you want to see them :\ at least my host is back so I'll have someplace to put em

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”