Zarx264GUI from avi to mp4 - videos go darker

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Scrilax
Org Profile

Zarx264GUI from avi to mp4 - videos go darker

Post by Scrilax » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi,
I'm using Zarx264GUI to convert files from .avi to .mp4
Already converted a lots of them without problem but now that I opened one 'Original.avi' to compare with 'Original_Converted.mp4' I see that the converted one is darker than the 'original.avi'

Am I doing something wrong ?

When I import the video to Zarx264GUI I choose: 'Directly' between 'AviSynth DirectShowSource', 'AviSynth AVISource', or 'Directly'

Settings I use:
Mode > Constant Quality
Preset > Very Fast
Quantizer > 20
Tune > Animation

The 'Advanced' tab I doens't even touch it

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Zarx264GUI from avi to mp4 - videos go darker

Post by mirkosp » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 am

It is not directly related to zarx264gui, I'd say. One of the following probably applies:
- You have exported the video as fullrange YUV from your NLE, but encoding it as limited range (by default, fullrange is set to undef, which is indentical to off by the spec, aka limited range). This is the most likely chance.
- You have encoded as fullrange avc but the decoder/renderer/whatever would be at fault is treating it as limited range. Very much doubt it could be this.
- Something else is fucking up for god knows whatever reason during playback.
See if adding

Code: Select all

--fullrange on
to the the command line tab helps. If it doesn't, I guess you have case 3 and the first thing I'd try to suggest is getting CCCP, installing it, running the settings application to reset defaults (just to play it safe) and see if MPC-HC show the correct colours.

Scrilax
Org Profile

Post by Scrilax » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 pm

I guess I have something messing with the reproduction of the video.

Thanks for the answer =D

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:54 pm

It goes darker? After I encode with Zarx and play the video back on Windows Media Player, it all looks de-contrasted. Like there's a lack of contrast from the original video. However, once uploaded on to places like YouTube, the contrast is back to normal. And I'd consider this to be something going on with my Windows Media Player when it comes to playing back my encoded videos.
Image Image

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 am

EnIgMoZz2 wrote:It goes darker? After I encode with Zarx and play the video back on Windows Media Player, it all looks de-contrasted. Like there's a lack of contrast from the original video. However, once uploaded on to places like YouTube, the contrast is back to normal. And I'd consider this to be something going on with my Windows Media Player when it comes to playing back my encoded videos.
This happens if your player thinks the video is encoded with pc levels, whereas it is tv levels and yotube always assumes tv levels even if it isn't (youtube also always assumes bt601 even if the content is bt709).
Just make sure everything is properly flagged as fullrange if it is or leave the tag alone/set it to off if it isn't. Using a better player with a better renderer would definitely help too.

Ikore
Org Profile

Post by Ikore » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 am

mirkosp wrote:I'd try to suggest is getting CCCP, installing it, running the settings application to reset defaults (just to play it safe) and see if MPC-HC show the correct colours.
hahaha, I was having exactly the same issue, this fix it, good tool :up: thanks mirkosp |:> :beer: :pizza:
SING! Never mind the words!!!

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”