If contest requires "Uncompressed PCM"=can't use Zarx264?

Hofuzz
Org Profile

If contest requires "Uncompressed PCM"=can't use Zarx264?

Post by Hofuzz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:40 pm

I would like to try submitting a video in H.264, but if the contest rules requires "Uncompressed PCM" audio (like AX), that means
i can't use Zarx264GUI right? 'Coz it seems that only encodes audio in AAC?

What other options do I have for open source H.264 format encoding?

Thanks,
--Hofuzz
H.264 noob
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

kickass331
Org Profile

Re: If contest requires "Uncompressed PCM"=can't use Zarx264?

Post by kickass331 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 pm

matroska supports pcm with x264 use your program for video and mkvtoolnix to mux in the pcm :D
ImageImageImageImageImage

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Whoa. kickass331 is still around?
Hofuzz wrote:I would like to try submitting a video in H.264, but if the contest rules requires "Uncompressed PCM" audio (like AX), that means
If you're talking about AX specifically, the coordinator has already stated:
DigitalPanther wrote:As for the audio. PCM is the preferred. What ever format your encoder will output as long as it isn't some exotic codec only hikikomori audiophiles have heard of it should be fine.
And AAC is far from being an "exotic ethnic codec" by now.

If you're submitting via direct download, I would recommend sending the video with the audio encoded as AAC anyway (at the highest quality setting possible); then it won't be difficult for you to put up a new version later if DigitalPanther finds he can't play it. If you're mailing in your entry, then it would probably be best to ask him directly via PM about AAC specifically.
Alternatively, if you have Adobe Premiere Pro, try importing the file yourself (DigitalPanther has already said that that's what he'll be using to compile the entries) and see if it works.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:03 pm

Scintilla wrote:Whoa. kickass331 is still around?
Hofuzz wrote:I would like to try submitting a video in H.264, but if the contest rules requires "Uncompressed PCM" audio (like AX), that means
If you're talking about AX specifically, the coordinator has already stated:
DigitalPanther wrote:As for the audio. PCM is the preferred. What ever format your encoder will output as long as it isn't some exotic codec only hikikomori audiophiles have heard of it should be fine.
And AAC is far from being an "exotic ethnic codec" by now.

If you're submitting via direct download, I would recommend sending the video with the audio encoded as AAC anyway (at the highest quality setting possible); then it won't be difficult for you to put up a new version later if DigitalPanther finds he can't play it. If you're mailing in your entry, then it would probably be best to ask him directly via PM about AAC specifically.
Alternatively, if you have Adobe Premiere Pro, try importing the file yourself (DigitalPanther has already said that that's what he'll be using to compile the entries) and see if it works.
actually, I just got back. I was bored and thought I should pay homage. Anyhow, that's besides the point. AAC is what you should use, don't ask, don't worry, everyone uses AAC, and if someone complains then ignore them. It's not being mean, it's simply what separates normal people from people who think it's their job to please everybody.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:46 pm

kickass331 wrote:AAC is what you should use, don't ask, don't worry, everyone uses AAC, and if someone complains then ignore them. It's not being mean, it's simply what separates normal people from people who think it's their job to please everybody.
This isn't a distribution encode we're talking about here. The OP is not trying to please everybody, s/he's trying to please a contest coordinator (and if it's the contest I think it is, then it's the contest coordinator at the biggest animé con on the continent). I'd say Hofuzz's worry about adhering to the contest rules is legitimate.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Scintilla wrote:
kickass331 wrote:AAC is what you should use, don't ask, don't worry, everyone uses AAC, and if someone complains then ignore them. It's not being mean, it's simply what separates normal people from people who think it's their job to please everybody.
This isn't a distribution encode we're talking about here. The OP is not trying to please everybody, s/he's trying to please a contest coordinator (and if it's the contest I think it is, then it's the contest coordinator at the biggest animé con on the continent). I'd say Hofuzz's worry about adhering to the contest rules is legitimate.
if said coordinator asks for avc or its deviations, AAC should be used. If coordinator says provide x codec, provide x codec. If he doesn't tell you, do a DVD, MPEG-2, AVC, and DIVX, and hope he doesn't ask for Windows Media. If your file doesn't play on a mainstream device like an ipod, ps3, psp, divx certified device, etc. then make it so it does. Stating audio should be in any uncompressed format is ridiculous, especially since linear PCM is such a poor codec, about as good as VC-1 is in the video field, so since FLAC, Matroska, Ogg Vorbis, and WavPack are the best in their field, you can assume that nobody cares and will adopt something else. Even if it means sinking down to the level of real media, indeo, or VP6 *shudder*

Hofuzz
Org Profile

Post by Hofuzz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Scintilla wrote: If you're submitting via direct download, I would recommend sending the video with the audio encoded as AAC anyway (at the highest quality setting possible); then it won't be difficult for you to put up a new version later if DigitalPanther finds he can't play it. If you're mailing in your entry, then it would probably be best to ask him directly via PM about AAC specifically.

Cool!! Thanks!! :up:

Hofuzz
Org Profile

Post by Hofuzz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm

kickass331 wrote: This isn't a distribution encode we're talking about here. The OP is not trying to please everybody, s/he's trying to please a contest coordinator (and if it's the contest I think it is, then it's the contest coordinator at the biggest animé con on the continent). I'd say Hofuzz's worry about adhering to the contest rules is legitimate.
if said coordinator asks for avc or its deviations, AAC should be used. If coordinator says provide x codec, provide x codec. If he doesn't tell you, do a DVD, MPEG-2, AVC, and DIVX, and hope he doesn't ask for Windows Media. If your file doesn't play on a mainstream device like an ipod, ps3, psp, divx certified device, etc. then make it so it does. Stating audio should be in any uncompressed format is ridiculous, especially since linear PCM is such a poor codec, about as good as VC-1 is in the video field, so since FLAC, Matroska, Ogg Vorbis, and WavPack are the best in their field, you can assume that nobody cares and will adopt something else. Even if it means sinking down to the level of real media, indeo, or VP6 *shudder*[/quote]

yeah, due to the deadline I just ended up sending it in DV with uncompressed PCM... but I'll go with mp4/aac for the org

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 am

Jimmy Hoffa wrote: yeah, due to the deadline I just ended up sending it in DV with uncompressed PCM... but I'll go with mp4/aac for the org
:E
DV Seriously?!
okies?

Hofuzz
Org Profile

Post by Hofuzz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 am

kickass331 wrote:
Jimmy Hoffa wrote: yeah, due to the deadline I just ended up sending it in DV with uncompressed PCM... but I'll go with mp4/aac for the org
:E
DV Seriously?!
okies?
yeah well, deadline cutting close... and I always get little color smears with Huffy...
I'm trying to finish up a second one before Friday, so is there no way to do H.264 with "Uncompressed PCM"?

Return to “Video & Audio Help”