Lots of .Avi playing only Audio.

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Lots of .Avi playing only Audio.

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Guys, I need help.
I'm have Windows 7 and somehow, strangely, I can't play lots of .avi videos, but only hear their audio. The problem is that it seems the "IV50" decompressor/codec isn't there, but I have installed even the Indeo 5.11 and nothing changed. Same goes for things like CCCP (even With, Indeo) and shit like K-Lite. I found a hint on the web saying to register a dll but I get a critical error when I try that way.

Any idea?
ImageImage

post-it
Org Profile

Re: Lots of .Avi playing only Audio.

Post by post-it » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:04 pm

testing on System 7 was completed quite a while ago and ffdshow_rev1381_20070729_clsid
was the winner. The CLsid package was designed to handle even Vista's pickyness.

give it a try and see if that gets things working for ya 8-)

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 pm

IV50 is Indeo 5 video, which is unsupported in ffdshow and Windows 7. (ffdshow only handles up to Indeo 3.2, and the CCCP disables decoding for even those by default) You can get it working, but the codecs are currently considered a security hole, and as far as I know, there are no plans to update them for current systems.

You need to run a command prompt as administrator (Right-click either the shortcut in your Start Menu or C:\Windows\cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator...") and enter "regsvr32 ir50_32.dll" (without the quotes). Running as a non-administrator will give you a "call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x8000ffff" error if you try.

This workaround should work for 32-bit systems; I haven't tested it on a 64-bit system, though, so I can't say for sure if it'll work there.

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks guys, I'll surely try and let you know.
ImageImage

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:41 pm

According to the Wikipedia article on Indeo 5, FFmpeg itself supports Indeo 5, but the only thing I found in regard to it is a patch on the mailing list that is currently (January/February 2010) being tweaked/reviewed. I don't think it's been committed yet because I couldn't find it in the logs on FFmpeg's git repo.

However, once it is committed, then it being included in ffdshow probably won't be too far off. Even if it isn't immediate, at least you'd be able to transcode the videos to a different format (like MPEG-4 ASP or H.264) using FFmpeg itself.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 pm

post-it wrote:testing on System 7 was completed quite a while ago and ffdshow_rev1381_20070729_clsid
was the winner. The CLsid package was designed to handle even Vista's pickyness.

give it a try and see if that gets things working for ya 8-)
That is a horrid suggestion. That build is from July of 2007 - terribly outdated (especially as ffdshow revision numbers are now over 3000). No objections to clsid's builds, though - I default to those myself.

New builds are here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Video & Audio Help”