Broken Blocks

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Broken Blocks

Post by Chaos Angel » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:38 pm

I was curious about something. On two of my DVDs, Smartripper has encountered "broken blocks" while ripping which slow or even stop the ripping process. The surface looks fine to my eyes. Is there a way to work around it and still get the scene I want to rip, or do I need to get new DVDs?
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:47 pm

You could try wiping it off in small circular motions with a soft cloth or something, or you could try buying some sort of dvd cleaning thing. I'm not sure if you can do this or not, but try contacting the discs manufacturer and see if they will give you a replacement if all else fails.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:49 pm

Oh yea, if you want to try to rip around that area of the disc, when you open up smartripper instead of letting it rip all the chapters, just select the ones after the bad spot on you disc (guess where it is).

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:25 pm

Zarxrax wrote:You could try wiping it off in small circular motions with a soft cloth or something
I always thought you were never supposed to wipe a disc in circles (i.e., along the path the laser follows) but from hub to edge or from edge to hub. As I understood it, if you wipe it in a circle and accidentally add a scratch yourself, it has a much higher chance of deflecting the laser and messing up the playback than if you acidentally put a radial scratch, or at least it would cause a much shorter hiccup in the audio.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:26 pm

You are correct. Ignore what I said.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:12 pm

When cleaning an optical disc, always wipe in a straight line, moving from the center of the disc outward.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:19 pm

...I did not know that. Thank you much.

Anime2Envy
Org Profile

Post by Anime2Envy » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:43 pm

I was curious about something. On two of my DVDs, Smartripper has encountered "broken blocks" while ripping which slow or even stop the ripping process. The surface looks fine to my eyes. Is there a way to work around it and still get the scene I want to rip, or do I need to get new DVDs?
I had this problem when ripping one episode of Yu Yu Hakusho from the japanese DVD. It seems that these broken blocks were never written to the DVD right, My DVD player would even freeze when it got to this part (that sucked too since is was right as Yuske was about to fight Dugaru). The only thing I could do was just let Smart ripper run all night, but when it was done it seem to have fixed the messed up part in the final vob file(though I am not sure how).

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:16 am

I can watch the DVDs just peachy. I dunno. I'll have to try cleaning them later. I plan to wipe them off later tonight and let the VOBs rip overnight.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:30 pm

I usually just spit on the disk and rub it around with my shirt. I have no real method. I guess I've been destroying CDs, but it works most of the time :|

Good ol' spit :|

~klinky

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”