Converting DVD tracks to 41.1KHz & Normalizing

This forum is for video and audio help and discussion.

Re: Converting DVD tracks to 41.1KHz & Normalizing

Postby Qyot27 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 am

If I'm defining 'video' and 'audio' as variables (the whole 'video =' thing), then I never put the other functions on separate lines, unless they come after AudioDub (and usually, not even then). Put the video operations that fall between the 'video =' and 'audio =' lines onto the 'video =' line and separate them with periods. I showed it marked up this way in the same post I explained wavi in.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny

Postby Scintilla » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 am

Holy crap, I can't believe I didn't notice that. Yes, the Deen and vmToon wouldn't take, the way you currently have the script set up, because you're passing the clip called video to AudioDub -- which you define on the first line as the MPEG-2 stream WITHOUT any of the filters applied to it.

Your first few lines should instead read:

Code: Select all
MPEG2Source("C:\Users\********\Desktop\*** ****** *******\DVD_01.d2v", cpu=4)
Deen("w3d",3,3,5)
vmToon(strength=24)
LanczosResize(848,480)
video = last.ConvertToRGB32()

Tell me if that fixes Deen; it may not have been properly taking the implicit last video clip because you were defining video on the line before it.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Sabihato » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Mmmmm, that did it. I tested it, it opened. I saved a sample clip from the DVD and the .avi came out with the proper sound from the .wav file. AND it was encoded correctly at 41.1KHz according to the file info in VirtualDubMod. This is everything I could hope for, and I dunno if a simple thanks is enough. You both have been very helpful.

------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, I have a difficult decision to make. The way I had originally coded deen was: Deen("w3d,3,3,5"). But since you, Scintilla, told me about the improper quotation mark placement (it should be Deen("w3d",3,3,5)), I have noticed a subtle but present change in the picture. I've compared two identical stills from a clip and the original without the deen effect. Here's what they looks like (files are .png):

No Deen: Original still without the deen effect
Deen("w3d",3,3,5): A slight variation in color. The hair, for example, goes from blue in the original to a slight purple tint. All the better, however, to reduce noise
Deen("w3d,3,3,5"): Virtually identical to the previous, even if the code was typed incorrectly. It's only if you compare pixels up close that you see a difference

Now, I've spent better part of a week extracting over a thousand clips from 8 DVDs using the incorrectly typed deen code. I don't know if I want to do it again, so I'd like to ask if it's worth it? On the one hand, I don't know if my code has properly corrected for noise, and now that I can save clips with sound, I should recreate those clips with the video and audio together. On the other hand, I don't plan on using a lot of audio from my source, Qyot27 has shown me a way to convert the DVD .wav tracks using wavi, and the typo hasn't really affected the picture quality, at least on the outside.

But the purist in me tells me to do everything correctly. So what should I do? What would you do? :shock:
Sabihato

Postby Scintilla » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Again, it's 44.1 kHz. </nitpicking>

And what I'm going to assume happened is that Deen only took into account the first three characters in the "mode" string, which are the same in both your invocations. (Otherwise, it should have complained about an incorrect value for that parameter.)

In the incorrect version, you didn't supply the other three important parameters (radius, y thresh, and c thresh), so it just used the defaults. However, I have no clue what those default values are. It wouldn't surprise me if they were pretty close to what you used, as they seem pretty reasonable.

Anyway, if you've already spent all that time cutting clips, and the ones you have look fine to you, then I really don't think there is a point in redoing it all.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Sabihato » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:47 pm

You're right, it's 44.1. I dunno how I got that logged in my head in the first place. I, too, thought it was strange that the system didn't bug me for incorrect Deen values. But yeah, my clips all look good, so I'm going to proceed as planned.
Sabihato

Postby Fuzzy Chickens » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Is there any particular reason why you can't just use the built-in 48 -> 44.1 khz conversion option in DGIndex? It seems a hell of a lot easier than whatever you're doing.
Fuzzy Chickens

Previous

Return to Video & Audio Help