Minority Report Color Correction/Cinematography??

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:20 am

Here's hoping that the SGI/Avid versions of Combustion2 are l33ter then the Windows version ^_^;; I tellz ya.

~klinky

Mechaman
Org Profile

Post by Mechaman » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:52 am

?

Combustion is only for consumer-level hardware; x86 and Macintosh, which are starting to outnumber the Avids in smaller studios. It's already been used for professional television work(the combustion project for the SportsCenter and MLB titles in use on TV right now was shown off to me a few months ago), how much l33ter do you want it?

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:56 am

Yes, wait you're right ^_^;;; Agg, mis-read your post there.

Anyways. I've had some troubles with Combustion2..

Main program window can only be maximized or minimized. No variable window sizes.

It likes to crash randomly ^_^ Not sure why, maybe it's my n00bness.

Somethings like list boxes, if you click on a item, it chooses the item above it...

It's also SLOW :\ Alot like After Effects. They're both clunky and slow to me.

I've used the Particle effects to create some stars for my bumper... Which was pretty l33t.

Anyways, those are the main problems with it. I am sure if I knew what I was doing I could do l33ter things with it.

~klinky

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:01 am

Cinelerra will do 16-bit RGB, RGBA, YUV, and YUVA. Unfortunately, it has a tendency to break from release to release; I'm hoping that that'll get fixed soon.

Film Gimp is pretty good, and it's already been used in major motion pictures, like Harry Potter, Scooby-Doo, and Stuart Little 2.

Also: I'm not sure if the original poster was talking about achieving the quality as seen in films, or the process that such color tweaks would have been done by. They're two very different things.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:04 am

Oh yeah, and Film Gimp operates in 16-bit linear/floating-point RGB, not YUV. Unless there's a YUV patch floating around that I'm not aware of.

René D´Anclaude
Org Profile

Post by René D´Anclaude » Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:30 am

You might want to become familiar with the ColorYUV command in Avisynth (http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=ColorYUV) .
That's the cheapest and easiest method I've discovered so far.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:55 pm

Wow someone else here following AVISynth development!

Sadly, as the page states, ColorYUV was introduced in AVISynth version 2.5 and as such is not availble in the "stable" versions of AVISynth which we distribute as part of the AMVapp package.

Once 2.5 goes at least Beta, we may consider sticking it in the package. But yes I agree it's a great tool, but I don't think it's available for general use yet.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”