Mp4s

This forum is for video and audio help and discussion.

Mp4s

Postby MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:57 pm

For some reason when i download an amv with an mp4 format i only get the audio file. Does anybody know how to fix this?
MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget

Postby Scintilla » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:16 pm

You're getting the video and the audio. The problem is that your computer can't play back the video, probably because it doesn't have the necessary codec, so it just gives you the audio instead.

<a href="/guides/playback">Read</a>.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby NeoQuixotic » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Let me guess, Quicktime is trying to play it? If the MP4 contains an H.264 stream (which nearly most do), then Quicktime is choking on decoding it because it can't decode all profile levels of H.264. Read the link and specifically, this part:

Playback of MP4 files
Insert clever text/image here.
NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator

Postby post-it » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 pm

hmm .. could it be that the system requirements are too high for `is computer?

what are those system requirements ??
post-it

Postby Shazzy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:42 am

Use VLC to play it.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.
Shazzy

Postby Joe88 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:41 pm

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_L ... c_Pack.htm

use that to play just about every codec know to man...
and dont forget to combo it with VLC
Joe88

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:47 pm

CCCP is fine... k-lite defines bad codec packs. So many redundant and conflicting files, spyware, adware, viruses, etc. it's pathetic.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Shazzy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:53 pm

Joe88 wrote:http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

use that to play just about every codec know to man...
and dont forget to combo it with VLC

Doesn't VLC come with its own internal codecs?
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.
Shazzy

Postby Rapture** » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:36 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:k-lite defines bad codec packs. So many redundant and conflicting files, spyware, adware, viruses, etc. it's pathetic.

LIES! I'm using newest K-Lite versions for over 2 years now,and I never had any problems with it!
:D I like laughter ;DD
ImageImage
Rapture**

Postby Qyot27 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:32 am

Shazzy wrote:Doesn't VLC come with its own internal codecs?

Yes, yes it does. As does mplayer. Codec packs like K-lite install mostly DirectShow codecs, whereas VLC doesn't use DirectShow - therefore, using them in combination is meaningless unless it's just that some files get played in VLC, while others get played in WMP. VLC does appear to have a DirectShow interface of some sort, but I've never used it, and I doubt many do.

For that matter, though, the vast majority of codecs that are included in K-lite are supported by ffdshow; or more correctly by libavocdec, which forms the core of both VLC and mplayer - although from what I've seen ffdshow tends to be far more on top of updates than either of the other two.

It's also a possibility that the OP uses Winamp - I don't know about the handling newer versions have when you don't have the right video decoder, but 2.95 only plays the audio stream, granted it's in AAC (at least by default; 2.95's video support blows harder than Winamp's video support in general does). I do use it like that on purpose if I like the song but don't wanna watch the video.
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny

Postby Bauzi » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:16 pm

I suggest CCCP with Zoomplayer (good player imo, just not toooooo easy to use like wmp. It has a different but not complicated handling ;) ).

@Winamp:
I have... v5.32 (the freeware version) and it doesn´t play the videostream of a mp4.
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby Kurama StarKat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 pm

So is there any way to get mp4's to play on wmp? Runnin vista, with an up to date wmp. Tried winamp, didnt work. Would that codec pack y'all mentioned all wmp to play mp4 files?
Kurama StarKat

Postby Kurama StarKat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:21 pm

Only codec pak ive got is gordian knot.
Kurama StarKat

Postby Qyot27 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:23 pm

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny

mp4 headaches

Postby TheFireMonkey » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:41 am

To be honest, I don't understand why people use mp4s in the first place since in my experience, they seldom work reliably for the majority of people. I'm always dismayed when something I want to watch is done as an mp4 because that means I will most likely not be able to watch it.

That said, I just downloaded Another Crappy Video, which I saw at Anime Evolution and knew I wanted - I loved it! So I get it and it's an mp4 :( but I try anyway. Quicktime starts up and gives me an error which was oh so useful :roll: it said it was unable to open the file due to an error number -8971. I just love useful error messages. Anyway, I came here and was going to see if someone could make a suggestion and before posting I saw Shazzy suggest using VLC, so I thought, ok - if VLC can make mp4s useful to me, that's a worth while thing to have.

So I used the link Shazzy supplied and went to install VLC - it was about 80% installed when it gave me this message:
Error while loading DLL 'unicows.dll"!
The application will terminate now.
So, does anyone know what the problem would be or how I might fix it ... or another way to play the video?

And also, I'm honestly curious - does anyone know why it seems MP4 is so popular here? I've been animating for several years and from the start I have used AVIs because I found them higher quality, more reliable and smaller files, granted there are way too many codecs so you have the problem that not everyone has the right codec but that is solved by making sure you let people know what codec they need and that is the only problem I've ever had with AVI. MP4s on the other hand tend to have lower quality and larger files so what's the attraction - I'm not trying to start a war over what format is best, etc, I'm really trying to understand and see what the advantage is for MP4s that causes people to use them.

Science is what machines perceive
Reality is what humans perceive
TheFireMonkey

Next

Return to Video & Audio Help