Low diskspace...what am I to do?

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Low diskspace...what am I to do?

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:41 am

I'm starting to see rock bottom from where I am now. I only have like 9 GB at the most that I can free up.

Now since each DVD takes up like around 6GB and the output from Premiere with Huffyuv takes like 4GB, I can't get the best that I can from encoding.

So what I'm really asking is if there is really any alternative to the AVISynth through VDub method yet still have the same results (or at least pretty close)?

(Note that I simply cannot get free space cause my HD is only 18GB. I've gotten rid of everything but some vids, MP3s, and the system files. I'm at a skeleton-HD computer.)

What I'm working with is 9GB AT MOST. Thanks to all of you in advance.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:40 am

Get a bigger hard drive.

or possibly use CinePack :roll: which is lossy and slow, but atleast it doesn't make Premiere crash. There is MJPEG too, but that costs $$ and to get quality similar to huffYUV it takes nearly as much space....

~klinky

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:42 am

UOD

Upgrade
Or
Die

Live by those words and your hard drive becomes safe. Or just reroute a lot of files to a laptop like I did.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:44 am

1) Read my updated DVD guide for how to rip only the video stream onto your hard drive, and stripping out the audio tracks and subtitles to save space.

2) When you are done with your project, go to http://www.videotools.net and get the Premiere Frameserver tool, and then export your video using that and open it directly in VirtualDub/NanDub/TMPGEnc. This will allow you to pipe the video straight from Premiere to any of the programs without an intermediary HuffYUV file, however be warned that your encodes will slow down a lot, but you'll still get 100% quality since you're piping right from the timeline to your video compressor.

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:04 am

Do what I do,and use floppies!I can copy over a whole folder of DBZ images(like 50!) onto one,and still have room for Goku fanfiction!

Seriously,what klinky and Wired said.
I'm out...

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:41 am

If you have a decent job, upgrade (pricewatch.com is very handy). If you don't, do what ErMaC said.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:40 am

hehe, i thought so....

well, in any case, what size do you guys suggest? 60? 80? 100?

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:26 pm

You're in California, so find your nearest Fry's Electronics and watch their ads for great deals. They usually will always have some sort of hard drive on sale - just make sure you get at least a 60GB one that's 7200RPMs and it should suffice. I got a Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM spec. edition (with 8MB cache) for $160 after $20 off in store and a $120 rebate.

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:31 pm

Cool, a Premiere Frameserver... I could use something like that!

Anyway, this is what you do (short of getting a new harddrive). Rip only one episode off the DVD at a time and convert using AVISynth or VFAPI and open it in a video editor of your choice. Here, select only the clips that you want and encode them as HuffYUV clips and then delete the original VOBs. Now, if you want an obscene ammount of footage from the episode it would be more space efficient to just work off the original VOB, but this should save you a lot of disk space. Now, just edit your video in segments. When you get done with one segment encode it as HuffYUV and blow away the source files. You may also want to consider cropping (not scaling) the video souce to 704X480, as really you'll only be losing blackstrips on the side and it will save you some space. (Ideally you'd be able to add them back later on, but if not, no biggie)

Rebus_Valstay
Org Profile

Post by Rebus_Valstay » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:12 pm

Yikes, that's a good deal on that drive. I blew $221 on mine after taxes. :|
[GLaU] Rebus Valstay
-----
Dammit! Where'd I put my cancer sticks?

Return to “Video & Audio Help”