Two questions from a beginner.

MiniGendo
Org Profile

Two questions from a beginner.

Post by MiniGendo » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:20 pm

Greetings all,
I have two questions and I wondered if anyone out there might be able to answer them.

First, some of the footage I wish to use is letter boxed, but the rest of my footage is not. Is there any way I can salvage a portion of the letterboxed footage?

Second, well I guess this is actually two questions. Can anyone suggest a good way to create a transition that looks as if the footage has faded into static and then faded back out? Additionally, can anyone suggest a way to make it look as if horizontal lock has been lost on the picture?

I appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer and thank you in advance for your time.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:30 pm

For your first question I need to know what you mean by "salvage" if you mean eliminate the letter box then you can always use the virtual dub cut method that a lot of people use to remove subtitles. Otherwise you could always make your entire video subtitled.

Second question.

There is no transition diretly like what you are talking about. However, what I recomend you do is this. Capture just some raw static to your hard drive, place that between the two shots you want and just use a "fade to" or direct cut. That should result in what you are looking for.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:26 am

Do you mean 'make your entire video letterboxed', Wired Knight? Unfortunately, whatever you do is going to throw things off a bit- you could use (I'm assuming you're using Premiere) the crop filter to basically zoom in the letterboxed video so it's full-screen, but this will either distort the picture (if you don't zoom in evenly) or blur it a bit (if you do keep the aspect ratio correct). Otherwise, you could make the whole thing letterboxed by putting equivalent letterboxing on the non-letterboxed video, but this unfortunately means losing the parts of the screen that the letterbox covers.

I agree with TWK on the static- in theory, there is an After Effects effect that will create static, but I've never figured it out. If you're looking for 'DVD quality' static, the beginning of each Video Girl Ai episode has some that you could probably use (it's what I'm using in a video I'm working on).
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: Two questions from a beginner.

Post by trythil » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:48 am

MiniGendo wrote:Greetings all,
I have two questions and I wondered if anyone out there might be able to answer them.

First, some of the footage I wish to use is letter boxed, but the rest of my footage is not. Is there any way I can salvage a portion of the letterboxed footage?
If what you mean by "salvage" is "removing the letterboxing", no, unless you want to draw in the "missing" pieces frame-by-frame. The best thing to do in this case would be to crop the non-letterboxed footage to the correct dimensions (don't resize; it'll make things look really, really funky).
Second, well I guess this is actually two questions. Can anyone suggest a good way to create a transition that looks as if the footage has faded into static and then faded back out? Additionally, can anyone suggest a way to make it look as if horizontal lock has been lost on the picture?
You can generate noise fields in an image processing tool and just run a sequence of them repeatedly. As far as the second goes: Play with motion settings. Generate a video sequence and place it in multiple tracks, and set them up so that they come on-screen one after the other, with a black bar in the middle.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:26 pm

I couldn't figure out if he meant to eliminate the letter box or make the whole video taht way. I figured it was eliminate beccause he wanted to "salvage" teh clips. So I was suggesting a way to get rid of them. And yes you are right, whichever he does it's going to distort the picture a bit.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

MiniGendo
Org Profile

Post by MiniGendo » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:14 pm

My apologies for my vagueness. By salvage, I meant that I wanted to attempt to blow up part of the letter boxed image so that it would appear to be full screen, I realize that I will loose resolution doing this, but if it's the only way to get some of the shots, then so be it.

I thank you all for your advice on the resizing issue and the static. I will load up my copy of Ai to capture that static.

Once again my thanks to everyone for their advice. If anyone else has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:51 pm

actually there are ways to do it without losing resolution, but you have to tell me what resolution and frame rate you plan to edit with and release in (i.e. 24fps 640x480 like most l33t people or 29.97fps 320x240 like most people who arent l33t :p) and I'll explain what you can do
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

MiniGendo
Org Profile

Post by MiniGendo » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:14 pm

If I am anything, it is not leet, and so I am doing it in 29.97 fps 320 x 240. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. If you wanted to educate me as to both procedures, I would'nt complain.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:50 pm

OK, actually editing in 320x240 is the only way to make stuff full-screen without losing res so you're lucky. Take the clip that you want to make full screen into dvd2avi and create the d2v, make an avisynth script like

mpeg2source("yadda/yeah.d2v")

NOW, you have to find out first if you're using anamorphic footage or letterboxed. So after you add the mpeg2source line open the .avs file in virtualdub. If there are big black borders at the top and bottom its letterboxed. If the image is fullscreen but everything lookes stretched and tall then its anamorphic.
Either way add the decomb script but dont include decimate. Like this

Telecide()

For letterboxed, first resize to 640x480 with something like

BicubicResize(640,480,0.0,0.5)

then manually adjust the crop command in avisynth until you cut off exactly the top and bottom black bars. It might be something like

Crop(0,60,-0,-60)

the syntax for that is
crop(pixels from left, pixels from top, -pixels from right, -pixels from bottom).

Now a good idea is to open the file in virtualdub and check the exact resolution with File>File information. Then input the width and height into klinky's lovely MisatoAspect and 1 for the divisible by box. One of the numbers should have a height of 240. Use bicubicresize again

BicubicResize(whatever misatoaspect told you,240,0.0,0.5)

now crop to 320x240, by taking what misatoaspect had (say 448) and subtracting it by 320. In this case 128. Divide that by 2, i get 64. So my crop would be

crop(64,0,320,240)

Take that into virtualdub and export and it should be perfect.
Tell me if your footage is anamorphic cuz I dont feel like writing that out right now if it isnt ~_~

Return to “Video & Audio Help”