VirtualDubMod's Job Control bad?

blaku92
Org Profile

VirtualDubMod's Job Control bad?

Post by blaku92 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:27 am

I'm using VirtualDubMod version 1.5.10.1 and I found it's Job control feature to be crappy. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but when I try using Avisynth filters on my .d2v file to export good looking huffyuv encoded AVIs while using the Job Control function to do it all at once, the clips end up cut in half or sometimes in stupid little 10kb files. Anyone know what I could do that might fix this problem? I've also tried to leave out the Avisynth filters to see if the Job control would work it's magic normally, but it still screws stuff up.

"I've dated uglier girls than you for breakfast."

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 am

OH crap!! -- sorry Mods, I just realised I placed this in the wrong forum topic. Please move if necessary. :lol:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:16 am

All I can say is it's always worked for me. Perhaps you have a buggy version?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:35 am

it works for me with the amvapp version
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am

The latest version is 1.10.5.2, and there's also a bugfix .exe to swap out. See if that doesn't fix the problem.

Download this and unzip it:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/virtua ... g_mirror=0

Then unzip this and replace the ones from the other package with the ones from this one:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/virtua ... g_mirror=0

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:38 am

Qyot27 wrote:The latest version is 1.10.5.2, and there's also a bugfix .exe to swap out. See if that doesn't fix the problem.
Gah, 1.5.10.2

That's what I get for not getting any sleep.

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:14 pm

thanks, I'll give it a shot. Damn media ethics course assignment -- I'll have to try it later tonight.

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:50 am

Ok, still having the same problem. What I want to do is take my .d2v file, put it into VirtualDubMod to select several in and out points for my job control, then save and refresh my Avisynth script with newly added filters ( I don't want to have the filters saved in the script before I select all my in and out points for job control because it will be to slow to scrub the timeline ). Is there a way to select create a bunch of jobs and then turn save the new filters into the script so that they all look good when they're exported?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:18 am

Ok, I see what the problem is now. I wouldn't attempt to alter scripts after setting them up in queue like that anyway.

My suggestion if you want to batch export clips is to render out an MJPEG copy of the episode/movie from a very bare script (only containing things which would impact frame positions; it might also help to do a BilinearResize down to 352x240), scrub through that with VDub, taking down frame numbers in a text file. Then go back into VDub with the full-quality script, and use the Go To... dialog to jump to the specific in and out points, and proceed as usual in getting the Job Control set up.

Otherwise, the other option - which is what you say you want to do in the second half of your post, is this:

Create a new script, and inside it, put this:

Code: Select all

Import("nameofavs.avs")
What that will do is make AviSynth read another script.

Now, the way to properly set this up is to make sure that you have two sets of scripts - a low quality one for scrubbing and a high quality one for export. These directly open the episodes/movies/whatever. You also have to make sure that the two sets have the exact same names (you can get around limitations here by putting one set in a different folder while you're working with the other), in order to avoid editing the Import scripts and thus potentially screw up the Job Control.

You'll also need to make sure that the Import() scripts - or script, if you decide to use ++ to append all the LQ or all the HQ scripts together so you can open them all at once* - are in the same folder as the set you're currently working with, again for convenience.

*like this:

Code: Select all

Import("x.avs") ++ Import("y.avs") ++ Import("z.avs") ++ ...

The reason for abstracting it away from the base scripts with Import scripts is that if you have an Import script that you load and use you can do anything behind the scenes with the other scripts and it would be unlikely to harm the ability of things to go smoothly. In other words, if you were to edit a base script to change something prior to export but after setting up the jobs, VDub wouldn't like it because it very well might see them as two different video files, whereas with an Import script, that script is what is seen as the video, so pulling a fast one is mediated through it and makes it harder for the editing program to raise a complaint.

This is theoretical; I know it works like this with Premiere, but I don't know if it'll succeed with VDub's Job Control.

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 am

ok sweet. I'll give it a try when I get back from class.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”