Help with tools

nvillian
Org Profile

Help with tools

Post by nvillian » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:27 pm

I've looked in several places, as well as the FAQ which lists different software most commonly used, but I can't find anything that meets what I need to do. I'm looking for something that does the following as simple as possible. I understand that it could require more then 1 program to do it.

1) Simple editing of movie files of multiple formats. Something I can obviously use to 'trim' if needed
2) Conver the video into a DVD readable format
3) The ability to add to the DVD in the extent that I can fast forward or rewind back to a previous point.

I have tons of DVD's and my main goal is to get a full episode of anime on 1 disk instead of only having 3 episodes per disk.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated as I'm finding trial and error by installing and uninstalling a fruitless labor.

Up In Flamez
Org Profile

Post by Up In Flamez » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 pm

wow this has pretty much nothing to do with video editing :?

so your trying to get your fansubs onto your disks?

also what do you mean you would rather have a full episode on 1 disk than 3 episodes per disk? that would be a waste of disks

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 am

i think that they mean a full series on to one disc, rather than 1 episode a disc..

nvillian
Org Profile

Post by nvillian » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:19 am

"wow this has pretty much nothing to do with video editing :?"
Oh really? Asking what tools would be easiest to crop/trim/edit a file isn't?

"also what do you mean you would rather have a full episode on 1 disk than 3 episodes per disk?"
1 full season per DVD, sorry.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:27 am

i think he meant editing AMVs...

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:11 am

Cramming that much video onto a single DVD is going to mean that it's going to look like crap.

13 episodes to one 4.7GB DVD = crap
26 episodes to one 4.7GB DVD = utter crap
13 episodes to one 8.5GB DL DVD = passable (but still a bit crappy)
26 episodes to one 8.5GB DL DVD = crap

Basically, you'd need a MPEG-2 encoding program to shrink down the video data and a DVD authoring program to cut-edit the video, add chapters and/or menus, and then burn the finished video DVD.

Another option which may give you better quality is to create a DivX DVD but you'd need a compatible DVD player to play it. Although I generally avoid promoting DivX, they do have a great deal of support by hardware makers of their 'format', making it the ideal way of getting more video on a single DVD without losing too much quality. I'm not sure if the software that can create these DivX DVDs have any editing features or if they do, how powerful they are. You may need to do any trimming/cutting/cropping with another program (VDub, most video editors, etc.)

DivX Ultra Certified hardware
DivX Ultra Certified software
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Video & Audio Help”