Love Hina- to IVTC or not to IVTC?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Love Hina- to IVTC or not to IVTC?

Post by FurryCurry » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:54 am

So here I am, all set to use the sweet avisynth voodoo on my fresh rip of Love Hina DVD 1, and I'm watching DVD2AVI tell me its only about 28% film. :?

The interlacing isn't very bad at all, except for a few bits of really high motion, but danged if I didn't plan to do a rather high motion vid using this show. >.<

The IVTC is pretty, but the motion looks a little too jerky to me in some places.

Has anyone else wrestled with the Love Hina DVD's yet? What did you decide to do? Stay interlaced, or go for the IVTC?

I'm hoping to avoid wasting effort by editing one way, and then deciding to go back and do it the other way because it looks bad.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:48 am

It should definately be IVTCed.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:29 am

The Force FILM option in DVD2AVI is NOT a real Inverse Telecine process. All it's doing it reading the TFF/RFF flags in an MPEG2 stream and reconstructing frames based on that.
For example, if you encode something at 23.976fps in TMPGEnc and specify "3:2 pulldown on playback" in the interlacing options, DVD2AVI will report the file as 100% film. However, if in TMPGEnc you enable the filter "3:2 pulldown" - which actually telecines the fields and then encode the resulting video as "interlaced", DVD2AVI will report the stream is 100% NTSC. They both will look EXACTLY THE SAME when you watch them frame by frame - the difference is one is marked as being telecined and the other is not.
So in other words, always ALWAYS completely ignore what DVD2AVI says unless it's telling you the thing is 97%+ Film. If so use Force FILM. If not, use DeComb and see how it looks.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:01 pm

Thanks for the replies, people. I suppose I'll go with the IVTC script, and see if I can get results that way.

As an aside, I never have nor intended to use DVD2AVI's Force Film, I merely watched the stats while it was making the project file, and then used the preview function to see where it was claiming film or video.
Turns out a fair bit of the Film part was during pans of the background, or other scenes involving some sort of panning. I have no idea whether or not that has any basis in reality.

My observations about picture quality and some slight jerkiness came from writing two different .avs scripts, ala the Holy Bible that you & AD wrote, ErMaC. :D

My observations are simply those derived from watching selected portions of the first disc using both versions of the script, regular & IVTC flavors.

I don't think the slightly jerky feel of some scenes during was due to frame dropping, as I had Task Manager open beside the playback window, and never really saw processor utilization rise above 85% during playbak of the IVTC script.

Anyway, thanks for the help, time to rip the rest of them & drop the clutch on this project, IVTC & all.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:12 pm

Sorta OT:

Is it possible for the producers of the show to mix telecined FILM, with pure VIDEO?. So say a nice smooth pan of the show using 60/fields persecond, could be then mixed with a fighting sequence with telecined 24/frames per second footage? It will all work out to standard NTSC 29.97 and technically it sounds like it would play fine on a TV, but of course would screw us up.

I was thinking that could be why some of the fansubs I watch look jerky some times.

If this is possible is it used very often ?

~klinky

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:21 pm

Yes, it is used and yes that is probably what is happening to your fansubs.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:25 pm

To add to what AD said, he's correct. Often times now, opening sequences and ending sequences are done in 30fps (not 60fields/sec, at least not that I've seen) and the rest of the shoe is in 24. The first example I saw was X TV, and more recently stuff like Azumanga Daioh does it as well.
There were lots of neat tricks using dropped frames to encode all the frames in progressive to playback at the correct speed which gave encoders like me fits for the first few hours after we saw them but eventually we figured it out, although a post in OffTopic shows that some encoders are still morons. :) Glad to see nothing's changed in my absense.

But basically, yes if there's different framerate footage it means either you have to make the 30fps stuff choppy by decimating it to 24fps, or you have to make the 24fps stuff choppy by padding the frames to 30fps, and any encoder will take the former over the latter for space reasons.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”