Changing Movies into Mpeg/Avi

Ayce
Org Profile

Changing Movies into Mpeg/Avi

Post by Ayce » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:35 am

Does anyone have a program to change movies from VCDs into a format like Mpeg or Avi? 'Cause they're using up too much space on my HDD.

I like keeping them on my HDD so they play more smoothly.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:26 am

VCDs are MPEG1 already. I don't think you'll have alot of luck converting them to something else.

AVI is just a container format. You would want to make a AVI file using DivX compressiong and MP3 audio.

You can use VirtualDub to convert both MPEG1 files & AVI to other formats.

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:27 am

What I meant by converting to something else is MPEG1 is already compressed alot, you're probably not going to make it get much smaller with out it looking worse then it does already.

~klinky

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:12 pm

If you really want to compress them further the best you'll get is half VCD size using RealMedia. If you don't want to use Real, well tough, it's the only format that can delve to those depths and come out looking right. Anyway Real will be opensource within the month so there will be all kinds of un-Real (haha :P) possibilities still using Real codec's. At any rate what you'd need to do is filter heavily with something that will clean up artifacts and increase compressibility (sshq for instance) and then encode in Helix producer at a video bitrate of 512, audio 64 or if you want to go extremely low video 384 audio 48. You could go all the way to 256/32 but that's pushing it. Only do that if there is little motion and not a lot of music.
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

Return to “Video & Audio Help”