Bitrate Calculator and such

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Bitrate Calculator and such

Post by RadicalEd0 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:54 pm

Ok, I'm aware there are plenty of bitrate calculators out there, plenty of good bitrate calculators. But I just made one myself, mostly for myself (doing those calculations is a pain :P). Buut.. its pretty simple, and it has some neat functions too. Instance, it can calculate the bits per pixel percentage of an encode, can calculate the total bitrate (with audio) and the video bitrate (total - audio), and I included a nifty little thing that converts audio bitrate for 5.1 encodes. That is... if you're used to using like 96 kbps for stereo audio and you've suddenly decided to encode in surround, just put 96 in and it will tell you the = bitrate for 5.1 audio (approximately).
You can input either megabytes, kilobytes, or both for the first part and likewise with hours, minutes, and seconds. These also have to be filled out for the bits per pixel calculations to work. Theres 2 audio inputs because mostly I use 2 audio streams (english and japanese).
You can use it to calculate the bitrate for full cd encodes, 50mb amvs, or pretty much anything else.
Btw, its visual basic meaning you need some dll from microsoft.com but chances are you already have it.
so um yea... have fun

http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/airanime/bit.html
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:07 pm

Dude that's sweet. I won't be using it for encoding or anything but that's handy to get the info from my AMVs (especially since I encode in Mpeg 2) thanks.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:21 pm

o ya im not sure if this will work properly with divx 3.11 because of something about the way the codec interprets bitrate, but itll work with mpeg 1, xvid, divx5, real 9, wmv 8/9 and etc

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:00 am

So that's what teh Visual Basic was used for.

Things that would make it prettier.

Use the Frame Control, instead of the lines. For the Labels that give you the final bitrate calculations a BorderStyle of Fixed Single and of course a Icon would make it better too ;p

~klinky

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:40 am

OK, it would really help if you actually understood what was going on when encoding things.

1) Your bitrate calculation is completely off because you haven't taken muxing overhead into account.

2) Because there is no muxing overhead in the equation there is also no distinction between CBR and VBR overheads. Also, multiple audio streams increase this overhead.

3) it is completely unclear as to whether the audio box wasnt you to put in a bitrate or an actual size.

Everything in this calculator can be done quite easily in gordianknot and it also has millions more features. Simiarly if you dont need the bits/pixels count there is a good (and correct) bitrate calculator that comes with xvid by Nic.

Nice try, but it just doesn't work.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:42 am

AD is COLD as ICE today :]

Who pissed in your brown sauce :twisted: :?:

~klinky

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:09 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:OK, it would really help if you actually understood what was going on when encoding things.

1) Your bitrate calculation is completely off because you haven't taken muxing overhead into account.

2) Because there is no muxing overhead in the equation there is also no distinction between CBR and VBR overheads. Also, multiple audio streams increase this overhead.

3) it is completely unclear as to whether the audio box wasnt you to put in a bitrate or an actual size.

Everything in this calculator can be done quite easily in gordianknot and it also has millions more features. Simiarly if you dont need the bits/pixels count there is a good (and correct) bitrate calculator that comes with xvid by Nic.
I already know that, all of it :P
what I said originally was that I made this for my own rudimentary use. Personally I don't use gordianknot for encodes, I simply calculate the bitrate myself using the stuff I put into this calculator.
I basically made this because I just learned how to use Basic for calculations and variables input by the user and I felt like doing something with it.
Oh yea, the bpp calculation was completely messed up in the first version, but it should be fixed now. (same url as before)

Nice try, but it just doesn't work.
works for me :P if you dont like it, dont use it. In fact I dont recommend using it if you're versed in GK. I merely did it to aid in my own personal calculations.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:10 pm

hmm....I wish I could create these things. Been trying for around 15 years just to learn this programming stuff and I still haven't gotten a bit further then when I started. I guess computers just aren't my kind of thing....

:digs into "C++ for Dummies" book:

I have no clue what is being said.....LOL!
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:50 am

o ya, 2 things i forgot
1. I use ogg which has an overhead of like 1.006
and 2. watch who you're treating like a n00b, I very much doubt that your knowledge of things video related is much greater than mine AD :P

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:23 am

RadicalEd0 wrote:o ya, 2 things i forgot
1. I use ogg which has an overhead of like 1.006
and 2. watch who you're treating like a n00b, I very much doubt that your knowledge of things video related is much greater than mine AD :P
It's not my fault your bitrate calculator doesn't work :P

Return to “Video & Audio Help”