MPEG-2 playback

This forum is for video and audio help and discussion.

MPEG-2 playback

Postby Bushido Philosopher » Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:27 am

As you know MPEG-2 takes up quite a bit of CPU power on older processors. What would you suggest the minimum to have smooth playback is?

(Damn I hate people who have no idea how to run a computer. It's almost the equivalent of not knowing how to work a TV.)
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>
Bushido Philosopher

Postby klinky » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:47 am

I believe you would want atleast a P-III or Duron/Athlon @ 600Mhz or greater.
klinky

Postby TaranT » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:00 am

You can do it in hardware with one of these cards:
http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/hollywood_plus.htm

A lot of people here are using it. They run about $50 to $60.

I just set mine up last night and the only bad thing is that I waited this long to get it. It's plugged into a tv adapter that drives an old 15" monitor. The display is perfect: no skips at all. And I've tried both MPEG1 and MPEG2 files.

It comes with player software, but I'd recommend instead Quu's MCIPlay. You can download it from the "Useful Files" link on your Member Home Page. Quu uses this to play the contest files at AWA and elsewhere. Works great.

TaranT

Postby Zarxrax » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:09 am

Don't buy from SigmaDesigns, they are BAD PEOPLE, they stole source code from XviD and tried to cover it up!
Zarxrax

Postby Mask of Destiny » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:33 am

If you want to go with a hardware based solution, you might want to get an ATI card. The decoder is of a higher quality than the ones packaged with most software DVD decoders. A lot of the purely software based decoders cut corners to improve playback speed.
Mask of Destiny

Postby RadicalEd0 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:29 pm

sigma are asses for stealing xvid
but then its not all bad, just shows u how cool xvid really is
besides, now they've been informed about all the GPL and GNU crap and they've made their modded xvid opensource

anyway on the topic of xvid what is the approximate CPU strain? I just did esca the movie for a friend, but her computer is pretty old (not sure what the speed is), I'm just hoping she'll be able to play it ^^;

640x360 ~ 900 kbps, ffdshow decoder
maybe i shoulve used divx3, i heard that plays on like a 200 mhz processor
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK
RadicalEd0

Postby Chef » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:36 pm

isnt xvid some weird version of divx? and didnt divx steal most of itself from mpeg?
Chef

Postby RadicalEd0 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:46 pm

er... ¬¬
must I?
do i really have tooo????
no, there are other threads on this
use the forum's search button, search for "the history of divx"
should bring it up
RadicalEd0

Postby RadicalEd0 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:47 pm

o wait... that thread was a bad explanation
jeezus, hang on, ill find the one I did e.e
RadicalEd0

Postby RadicalEd0 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:49 pm

here
http://animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=370&highlight=history+divx

read me and jbone's explanations and u'll be set 4 life 8)
RadicalEd0

Postby klinky » Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:21 pm

Sigma did release the source for their stuff atleast. When they were called on it they did 'deliver'. :\

I bet MS has stole alot of code from some places :p
Yet we still by their products :}

Look at Morpheus it uses/used Gnucleus source code with out releasing the source code w/ the changes they made to it :\ . I don't use it so I don't know if they've changed.

~klinky
klinky

Postby TaranT » Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:02 am

Note that all this concerns the new SD MPEG4 card. THe Hollywood+ card is only for MPEG1 and MPEG2.

klinky wrote:Sigma did release the source for their stuff atleast. When they were called on it they did 'deliver'

"Sigma Makes Source Code Available for Its MPEG-4 Video CODEC"
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020822/220286_1.html

www.xvid.org wrote:2002/08/23 -- Sigma Designs' reacted. Sigma Designs' recently reacted by publishing a press release and have now made V1.1 source codes available. We are considering our response, and will post further news as it comes to hand.
Thanks everyone!

2002/08/22 -- The XVID development team has made a unanimous decision to cease project development. We will return when Sigma Designs' stops infringing the copyrights of XVID authors. As some of you had already assumed, Sigma Designs' REALmagic MPEG-4 Video Codec software includes large amounts of XVID project code. Since Sigma Designs' refuses to comply with the terms of the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) and moreover claims sole ownership of the REALmagic MPEG-4 Video Codec software, Sigma Designs' is violating the GNU General Public License and copyright law.
We have been in contact with Sigma Designs' since July and were hopeful that this matter would be settled quietly. Their refusal to cooperate has forced us to publicly request Sigma Designs' to comply with the terms of the GNU GPL, or immediately cease REALmagic MPEG-4 Video Codec distribution. Feel free to ask Sigma Designs' for the REALmagic MPEG-4 Video Codec source code, they are obliged to provide you a copy. The official press release and a line-by-line code comparison of the REALmagic and XVID binaries are available for download below.

Our decision to publicly accuse Sigma Designs' and halt XVID development was difficult to make, please respect it. We simply do not believe XVID development should continue under the current circumstances. The XVID development team would like to thank all of our visitors and supporters for all your help and encouraging comments in the past. You really made XVID development a lot of fun!

Best wishes to you all!
The XVID team

http://www.xvid.org/

Also...there are still problems:
http://lwn.net/Articles/8599/
TaranT

Postby kthulhu » Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:38 pm

I just realized! Xvid is DivX backwards! OMG!
I'm out...
kthulhu

Postby RadicalEd0 » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:20 am

and DivX is mooserape backwards! omg :o
jk.. its not really
RadicalEd0

Return to Video & Audio Help