Question on ripping VCDs

caughtinadream
Org Profile

Question on ripping VCDs

Post by caughtinadream » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:09 am

Hi! I've read the guides on the site, but did not find one that seemed to address ripping from VCDs. What software would be best for this? Also, if there is a guide, could you post the link? Thank you.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:24 am

VCDs aren't high enough quality to be adequately used as source footage, so nobody has bothered to write a guide on how to rip from them.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

caughtinadream
Org Profile

Post by caughtinadream » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:48 am

Okay. The only reason I ask is because one of the animes that I was hoping to use has not been licensed for release yet. The VCD I have is the only other way of getting a copy of it other than fansubs on VHS.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Re: Question on ripping VCDs

Post by CArnesen » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:58 am

caughtinadream wrote:Hi! I've read the guides on the site, but did not find one that seemed to address ripping from VCDs. What software would be best for this? Also, if there is a guide, could you post the link? Thank you.
Actually, ripping VCDs is fairly easy to do. If you check the directory structure of the disk, there will be one folder with the large MPEG files in it. You should be able to open these files in your video editing software of choice.
--Chris ^_^

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:58 pm

Yes, you should just be able to open the disc and browse to a folder called MPEGAV, and you should see files called something like AVSEQ01.DAT.

Copy those to a folder on your hard drive, and rename the extension to .mpg (they are just mpeg1 files, after all) import those into your video editor of choice.

You could also use a nifty program like Isobuster, if you like, or if you have trouble extracting the files.

There's your guide. 8)
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”