How do I go about getting those PSS files out of PS2 games?

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

How do I go about getting those PSS files out of PS2 games?

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:14 am

I've already read http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=27803 so don't point me in any direction that goes to.

I've tried to do the HEX Editing as mentioned there, but the tutorials somehow don't work. All I get is a bunch of useless 16 KB files or "supposed" files that don't work.

I'm will to learn anything (like I did Premiere four years ago or this HEX editing). But if I'm misled then how am I supposed to do it right? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but I literally did this dozens of times with no luck. Kinda annoying.... to say the least.

What I'm thinking is getting a program that allows me to see all of the files on the DVD rather than just the few that can be shown on Explorer. Then I can just use RipPSS and try that.

Or if you can point me to a HEX tutorial for PSS files other than those in Square Realm then point those out too.

But if anyone has a way that they KNOW works, (as in they've dont it themselves. None of these guys going "oh I don't have a PS2 but I'm sure this works") then please post what to do.

Word from me spreads fast so you can bet that the information will not help just one person, but many many more.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

keyboardsamurai
Org Profile

Post by keyboardsamurai » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:31 am

I'm not sure, but I believe .pss files are encoded in MPEG2 (SVCD format) so any prog that can convert SVCD should be able to convert the *.pss files into mpeg1 then you can use virtual dub to convert to avi. A prog called DVDX may be able to convert them (try renaming the .pss to .mpg and see if dvdx can pick it up). I think they can be viewed using a software dvd player, such as powerdvd or windvd (in the .pss format).

keyboardsamurai
Org Profile

Post by keyboardsamurai » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:57 am

Here is a good tutorial I found. I still think you are going to have to convert it to a .mp2 first (you use a prog called TMPG to do this) or try simply renaming them. Here is the tutorial

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/mpeg2tovcd.htm
www.filemirrors.com should be able to find all the progs you need.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Re: How do I go about getting those PSS files out of PS2 gam

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:04 pm

Tell me something I don't know, please. Read the whole post before responding.
Bushido Philosopher wrote:What I'm thinking is getting a program that allows me to see all of the files on the DVD rather than just the few that can be shown on Explorer. Then I can just use RipPSS and try that.
I can't see them so I can't convert them. If I could I wouldn't be asking this like some newb who hasn't clicked the Search feature.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."

keyboardsamurai
Org Profile

Post by keyboardsamurai » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:17 pm

$amn, calm down. Get a program called Smartripper. It can show you all files on the entire DVD and allow you to choose which you want to rip. Again check filemirrors.com

BigDude
Org Profile

Post by BigDude » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:24 pm

PSS Plex

That'll work on most games... it rips the pss files off the disk and directly converts them to mpeg2. Which from there you can put it through DVD2AVI, AVISynth or whatever you want to do with it... Of course, if you're trying to get the videos off, for say, Xenosaga or FFX-2, it won't work.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:47 am

GOD DAMNIT! can someone PLEASE update the video game footage guide so we don't have to deal with this freaking question again? Failing that, sticky a thread here for people so see with an explanation.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:04 am

BigDude wrote:Of course, if you're trying to get the videos off, for say, Xenosaga or FFX-2, it won't work.
And of course, those are the games (among others) I want the files from....
CaTaClYsM wrote:GOD DAMNIT! can someone PLEASE update the video game footage guide so we don't have to deal with this freaking question again?
Y'know, you kinda need to answer the damn question for you to be able to say that. I haven't run into a person yet who could explain to me a truly effective method of extracting PSS files. And besides, no one's asking you to hang around these forums. Leave if you're getting tired of it. And if you're so fed up then I suggest you updating the game footage section yourself.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:20 am

I really appreciate the help keyboard, I really do, but you're telling me all that I've tried. And it looks to me like you haven't yourself tried to extract PSS files from games. Your heart's in the right place, but it's like you're like giving blood to something that's already dead.

Everyone, assume that I have tried everything in the past forum threads. Like I said, I even tried HEX editing (as stated in the thread I linked). I know all about PSS Plex, things at PS2MODS Paradise, RipPSS, FFX-2 Tool, the whole deal. I know it's a MPEG-2 based file. I know the difference between real-time and rendered scenes.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:43 am

I did kind of answer the damned question. Just not to you.

Believe it or not you arent the first person (screw it I'm tired) to ask about PS2 ripping.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Return to “Video & Audio Help”