Changing speed while working from DVD footage

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Changing speed while working from DVD footage

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:48 am

Since I hear Premiere 6.5 will let you import mpeg2 streams directly, I've been seriously considering doing this on my next video. However there's one problem that I just can't figure out. I've never actually tried this (as I could never get Ermac's method of using vobs in Premiere to work), so I'm speaking theoretically here. Now, can someone explain to me how it's possible to edit from the dvds, being that they are telecined? If you change the speed on a clip (which I do for probably about half of my clips) then you could be removing some interlaced frames or duplicating some. Now if you seriously slow down a clip by a great deal, you could be looking at a couple copies of the same interlaced frame in a row. Now how do you get around this? You obviously wont be able to perform IVTC now, as it cant just remove a bunch of frames all in a row (without the result looking like crap). Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't see how this works.

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:23 am

The best way to edit from VOBs is to add the IVTC step in your avisynth script (via decomb plugin or inversetelecine) so you will end up with a 23.97 fps video stream in Premiere.

Post-production IVTC is still feasible but won't lead to good results as the method above ;)
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:38 am

To answer your question more directly, you have to deinterlace if you are slowing footage down, but if you are speeding it up then it doesnt really matter. Of course, the IVTC wont work any more but that's what post processing is all about.

ErMaC and I might cover this sort of stuff in our new video guide stuff which will broaden the topics, but the actual content has yet to be decided on.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”