How do I extract GOOD quality FMV's from my Final Fantasy X?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
alicia_chan8
Org Profile

How do I extract GOOD quality FMV's from my Final Fantasy X?

Post by alicia_chan8 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:38 pm

Hi! *hope i've put this in the right place!*

I want to extract the fmv's from FFX. I can hook up my vcr/dvd player to my computer, and i have a video capture card and all that...but what programs should I use? So far, what i've done is taped the fmvs onto a vhs video tape, and then connected it to my computer. Then, using adobe premiere i've extracted the fmvs BUT! the sound is non-existant and the quality is absoloutly horrible. it's fuzzy and pixilated and...well you get the picture. Can anyone tell me their method for getting the FMVs? Not just FFX, but all PS games...? It would be really helpful!
Thanks ^_^

Knowname
Org Profile

Re: How do I extract GOOD quality FMV's from my Final Fantas

Post by Knowname » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:10 pm

alicia_chan8 wrote:Hi! *hope i've put this in the right place!*

I want to extract the fmv's from FFX. I can hook up my vcr/dvd player to my computer, and i have a video capture card and all that...but what programs should I use? So far, what i've done is taped the fmvs onto a vhs video tape, and then connected it to my computer. Then, using adobe premiere i've extracted the fmvs BUT! the sound is non-existant and the quality is absoloutly horrible. it's fuzzy and pixilated and...well you get the picture. Can anyone tell me their method for getting the FMVs? Not just FFX, but all PS games...? It would be really helpful!
Thanks ^_^
there are some ps game fmvs you can get through programs like psmplay (ps1) and... some other program I forgot ya just gotta look it up in google. FFX is one that is particularly weird (so I've heard) so I've heard that the normal indirect procedure doesn't work. There is a program you'll probly find called super spiffy ffx fmv getter ;-p or something that's made just for ffx, not sure how good it is... also when getting fmvs in this <b>indirect</b> way expect it to be the res the creator originally wanted it to be, may not be what you wanted it to be.

the <b>direct</b> method is what I used in this video <a href=http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 53>here</a>. As you can see the quality may not be the best (I'm learnin in this dept. ;-p) but it's doable, I also got the sound -_-, so if it's better than what you get than I can learn ya sumthin. what I do doesn't include the vcr at all. I have a box (looks sorta like <a href=http://www.dcslinks.com/misc_image/mav_ ... pg>this</a> just not an av switcher used to GATHER the video signal you want something that distributes the signal, besides most switchers won't plug into game consoles...) I bought from blockbuster (3rd party you might find one at Walmart or something...) it includes ports for those three color wires (ya know one color each, three wires -_-) and a male to male 3 color wire (called male cuz male plugs into the female type see -_-). You don't really need the three color wire but if you don't have a single yellow wire part (like one that comes with most tv out cards) than you will need part of your three color wire. Don't take apart your wire -_- youll break it, just don't use that other part (other two wires, red and white).

So now you got that male yellow wire plugged into the female part that says video or something similar (or it's highlighted in yellow)? Beside it should be two more ports that look similar but are red and white. These are used for audio, mono (as opposed to stereo) tv's may only have a red or white port <b>BUT you shouldn't be looking at the tv</b> ;-p ya catch? cuz any av box you may find will be stereo. Back to the box that's connected to the console, what you need is a wire that will connect to those red and wite audio ports. You may want to plug in the dangling male parts from that wire that's beside it (sorry -_- couldn't resist ;-p) but you most likely can't cuz I've never seen a capture card that acts like a sound card and I've never seen a sound card that has rca ports to plug in the other side of that wire :P . If you have either than be my guest. also if you just want video and no audio (like most amvs have anyway) than just skip my next paragraph.

what you want is a wire that will plug into those red/ white ports but on the other end you need a 3/4 inch rca jack that will plug into your soundcard's <b>line in</b> port (make sure the line in volume in windows isn't muted). If you don't have one ask at Radio Shack, they've got answers :P .

Finally hook your video end into your capture card like you've done before. play your game and you should see and hear it through your cap program.

alicia_chan8
Org Profile

Re: How do I extract GOOD quality FMV's from my Final Fantas

Post by alicia_chan8 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:38 pm

thanks! just one more question *sorry ^_^' *
what is a good capture program to use? I'm not happy with the one i'm using now, so which one would you recommend? Thanks again for all the help :D

Fungie½
Org Profile

Post by Fungie½ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:11 pm

I know I'm not really part of this conversation, but I heard you were looking for a good capture program. Most people around here use VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org). It's a free program that you can use to capture things with, as well as do a number of other things to (such as filter, crop, change framerates, etc.). Perhaps a combination of filters might do the trick for getting rid of some of the pixellation and such. Best of luck ^^

alicia_chan8
Org Profile

Post by alicia_chan8 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:34 pm

thanks! i'll let you know how it goes!!!

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:18 pm

Fungie½ wrote:I know I'm not really part of this conversation, but I heard you were looking for a good capture program. Most people around here use VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org). It's a free program that you can use to capture things with, as well as do a number of other things to (such as filter, crop, change framerates, etc.). Perhaps a combination of filters might do the trick for getting rid of some of the pixellation and such. Best of luck ^^
yeh vdub is good but it only allows you to capture in 320x240 and stuff -_- anyway I'm on the same trek you are, I've looked at a few programs (another good free one is at btwincap.sourceforge.net, it's a little more noob friendly than vdub and if you use the btwincap drivers, wich I suggest if you have an internal card and not AIW or Nvidia based, as it's made by the same ppl, for compatibilities sake). The one I use came with my card and is commercial, Cyberlink's Power VCR 3. I suggest it with the patch cyberlink provides on their website. The PVCR only records in MPEG but it's very costomizable you can go to the system menu and make every frame an 'I' (stands for <b>I</b>nfo) frame making it virtually lossless (<a href=http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a></a> if your confused by the terms... put alotta time and thought cells aside for this -_-). Otherwise there's not much difference in the <i>software</i> you use just the hardware.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”