Getting timings from IFO or VOB files?

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Getting timings from IFO or VOB files?

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:42 pm

Is there a way that I can get the timings that the IFO file tells the DVD player to show the subtitles for?

See, I want to have subtitles, but then I'm not very satisfied with the fonts and colors that the DVD has. On the other hand, why re-time everything if I could just get the times from the DVD and use those.

So anyone know a method of doing that?
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:52 pm

I'd use SubRip. It can give you all the timings.

of course it can also do OCR detection on the subs that are there, turn them into a textual subtitle file which you can then change the colours and font etc.

The only problem is when it detects letters incorrectly but they're usually easy to fix.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:52 pm

Thanks again AD.

But of course, I have two more questions for all of you.

1) How the hec do you work the Karaoke function in SSA??? For example, I wanna do the stuff they do at Elite-Fansubs.

2) How do you input Japanese characters? For me, they just come out as those jibberish Unicode symbols.

Unfortunately though both SSA's whole site and E-F's forums are currently down. So....can you point me to an appropirate guide or something?
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:07 pm

get vobsub - in there is a doc file with all the ssa commands, including karaoke

you'll want to time it in ssa though.

As for japanese, you can use unicode with the right version of vsfilter, or you can convert it with a program like jstar or something.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:45 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:As for japanese, you can use unicode with the right version of vsfilter, or you can convert it with a program like jstar or something.
What do you mean by using VSFilter?? The filter download itself doesn't have any kind of explanation of using different languages.

zalas
Org Profile

Post by zalas » Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:49 pm

Okay, to get Japanese to show up you need to have the font encoding {\fe###} set to 128 (it's also the last value in the Styles lines)

Karaoke help can be found in ass-specs.doc and the SSA documentation

Lastly, when I'm putting Japanese in karaoke, I'm inputting them into notepad, and they're coming out as Japanese, which I then save as a Unicode file. (That *may* be because I'm in the Japanese locale for win2000, try messing around a bit with encodings and stuff)

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:37 pm

You completely lost me...

What's this about using Notepad now? I need something like examples and stuff for me to fully comprehend.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:37 pm

Whoa.....I actually figured it out....the world's coming to an end....

But still one question so I don't ask later. How did you come up with the language number for Japanese (\fe128)? And also it seems that you can include even your own language characters (such as the Abh lettering that Elite-Fansubs did). How do you do that?

zalas
Org Profile

Post by zalas » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:10 pm

128 is the font encoding number SSA uses for Japanese, go figure :roll:
As for specialized characters, they probably used an Abh font (think 'Symbol')

Return to “Video & Audio Help”