Ripping FMV Sequences

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Skyliner
Org Profile

Ripping FMV Sequences

Post by Skyliner » Mon May 12, 2003 9:43 am

I'm new to the world of AMV and GMV. I've always enjoyed watching them but now I've decided that I'll have a crack at it. I need a bit of help with ripping the FMV sequences from the games. Is there anyone who can help me to learn ripping using only a CD/DVD-Rom on a pc? I heard about many programs that will let you rip the sequences with your pc, but I've never found one that works. If anyone can help, please reply, or send an e-mail to DBridges85@hotmail.com

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Mon May 12, 2003 9:46 am

is it a pc game? what's the title?

ps & some ps2 games you can find the answers in some of the older threads here. Use search.

Skyliner
Org Profile

Game Titles

Post by Skyliner » Mon May 12, 2003 9:53 am

No, no PC games. They are all PSone or PS2 format Discs and DVDs. The titles are mostly RPGs, anything from Chrono Cross to Final Fantasy X, XenoSaga and more. Currently working with Final Fantasy VII-X.

burntoast
Org Profile

Post by burntoast » Tue May 13, 2003 2:33 pm

For PS1 games, I use PsxMC to rip the fmvs and audio. The program's available at this site. It's partially in Japanese but most of the options are easy to understand. You could also try out PSXPlay and the PSXdeAvi patch if PsxMC doesn't work for you (personally, the PSXPlay ripper doesn't work for me). They're all found at the web site I mentioned above.

As for PS2 ripping, you could use something called PSSPlex if you have a dvd-rom drive. PSSPlex finds .pss files (video files in PS2 discs), and then you gotta use DVD2AVI or something to convert them to avi or mpeg for editing. More info about this program can be found in this thread. I haven't used this program before cuz I don't own a PS2, so I can't really recommend this method. If it fails, you'll have to capture ur PS2 footage using a capture card and a vcr.
"The only one to deprive you of happiness is yourself."

Loofa
Org Profile

Post by Loofa » Wed May 14, 2003 7:04 am

I was thinking of making a new thread to ask this, but since this one fits quite good, I'll ask it here: I have used Psx Multi Converter for some time, but never thought really of excellent quality when making my Final Fantasy VGMV's. I've been going for moderate. But now I wonder: What kind of codec do you use with PsxMC? Because I've tried alot different and it all kinda suck. I know it's probably my fault, but even Huffyuv (which I've read is "oh, so incredible") is crap. Using lossy codecs, like DivX, XviD and Indeo gives good quality in action sequences, but not in still, and I don't wont to use them for editing either. What I am doing wrong?

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”