Going from noobie to pro, Could use some help...

FailToilet
Org Profile

Going from noobie to pro, Could use some help...

Post by FailToilet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Hello guys, after a lot of time i've bought a new computer for editing, from a guy that used to edit only in sony vegas i've added AE now.
I've bumped into many problems when i understood what is the proccess of becoming more advanced editor so ill summrize them in the next questions:

1: I used to work with Freemake Video Converter with my old computers and AMVS, just today i understood how much quality i've lost during the converting and rendering proccess before made and after the amv was done, but i've lost myself with all those proggrams on the AMV GUIDE, finally i converted through VirtualDub with UTvideo codec and the episodes size are very large, i have only 1T hard drive and i dont think it would be enough for someone who is making a multiple anime music video, suggestions?

2.When i converted an Mkv file with Virtualdub i somehow managed to do it without using Avisynth, maybe cause i've used "VirtualDub FFMpeg Input Plugin" that some generous forum member from here mentioned on his Blog under the mp4&mkv file handling category?(i've downloaded avisynth but never used the scripts)

3.Seriously, i've been reading almost the whole rendering/converting theards in this forum and the big AMV GUIDE, but i can't really understand basic stuff like, how do i render loseless with sony vegas? there's no option over there in the render file button.
How do i move files from AE to sony vegas and from SV to AE?

4. Why it seems that in the MKV video that i've converted with VirtualDub with UtVideo( 28 GB Episode!!) after placing it in Sony vegas the quality seems kinda off( yes im using the best preview settings) maybe because i somehow didn't use Avisynth?

I have many more questions but this thread is long enough so i'll save it for another time, so how i see it:
I bought a pretty strong computer for editing but i never prepeard myself for those technical quality things that really wrecked my brain by now, i would be really glad if someone would help me with those questions, I'll appriceate it by much(sorry for my bad english) :D

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Going from noobie to pro, Could use some help...

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:20 am

FailToilet wrote:1: I used to work with Freemake Video Converter with my old computers and AMVS, just today i understood how much quality i've lost during the converting and rendering proccess before made and after the amv was done, but i've lost myself with all those proggrams on the AMV GUIDE, finally i converted through VirtualDub with UTvideo codec and the episodes size are very large, i have only 1T hard drive and i dont think it would be enough for someone who is making a multiple anime music video, suggestions?
If space is a problem, check your source material to see if it is 8-bit or 10-bit video. If your source is 8-bit then you can simply recontainer the footage and work with MP4. While this is not the ideal, it avoids the quality loss and allows you to edit with the original footage without having to convert it.
FailToilet wrote:2.When i converted an Mkv file with Virtualdub i somehow managed to do it without using Avisynth, maybe cause i've used "VirtualDub FFMpeg Input Plugin" that some generous forum member from here mentioned on his Blog under the mp4&mkv file handling category?(i've downloaded avisynth but never used the scripts)
FFMpeg Input Plugin for VirtualDub does not use AviSynth, so you are correct in the assumption you converted without AviSynth.

The next two questions are probably better for the Sony Movie Studio & Vegas section of the forum where more experienced Vegas users will be more likely to see them, however I will answer them partially.
FailToilet wrote:3.Seriously, i've been reading almost the whole rendering/converting theards in this forum and the big AMV GUIDE, but i can't really understand basic stuff like, how do i render loseless with sony vegas? there's no option over there in the render file button.
Since I have never used Vegas I can't exactly tell you how, but I do know that there is an option when exporting to select AVI and then select the codec (UT Video RGB). I recommend encoding lossless when exporting to go between SV and AE to avoid losing quality.
FailToilet wrote:4. Why it seems that in the MKV video that i've converted with VirtualDub with UtVideo( 28 GB Episode!!) after placing it in Sony vegas the quality seems kinda off( yes im using the best preview settings) maybe because i somehow didn't use Avisynth?
It would not be because you didn't use AviSynth since you essentially have the same output format either way. Assuming the final output is fine, it's probably just a quirk of the preview.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:27 am

l33tmeatwad wrote: The next two questions are probably better for the Sony Movie Studio & Vegas section of the forum where more experienced Vegas users will be more likely to see them, however I will answer them partially.
FailToilet wrote:3.Seriously, i've been reading almost the whole rendering/converting theards in this forum and the big AMV GUIDE, but i can't really understand basic stuff like, how do i render loseless with sony vegas? there's no option over there in the render file button.
Since I have never used Vegas I can't exactly tell you how, but I do know that there is an option when exporting to select AVI and then select the codec (UT Video RGB). I recommend encoding lossless when exporting to go between SV and AE to avoid losing quality.
To add further details: To render out a lossless AVI in Sony Vegas, select "Render as", and then make sure that the "Show favorite only" box isn't selected in the render settings box. Then select "Video for Windows (AVI)" from the list of output formats. This will cause an additional dropdown list to appear that has presets. None of the suggested presets will probably match your desired settings, so just select any one of them and click the "customize template" button. This will now bring up a new menu that will allow you to customize all the render settings to your heart's content.

The first thing that you'll need to change is the "Video Format" setting. Even though its not the first setting listed in the customize settings menu, it often imposes restrictions on all your other options. So you'll need to change it from whatever it currently is to either "Lagarith Losssless Codec" or "UT Video RGB". I personally just use Lagarith.

The next setting that you'll need to change is the "Frame Size". Change that to "Use Project Settings" in order for your render to match the frame size settings that you've been editing with. Then you'll need to change your "Frame Rate" to also match whatever setting that you've been editing with (although there isn't a "match project setting" option for it). Next, change your field order to "None (Progressive Scan)". Then change your "Pixel Aspect Ratio" to 1.0. There are other settings that you can adjust in the "Audio" and "Project" tabs at the bottom of the menu, but the ones that I've listed are the ones that are most likely to have the wrong defaults. Everything else will probably be fine.

Note: When you render out a lossless AVI, you should expect your output file to be fairly large. Sometimes even as much as a few gigs depending on your video length and settings. But once you have your lossless AVI, you'll be able to use programs like Zarx to encode it to a small size with minimal quality loss.

FailToilet
Org Profile

Post by FailToilet » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:07 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
FailToilet wrote:1: I used to work with Freemake Video Converter with my old computers and AMVS, just today i understood how much quality i've lost during the converting and rendering proccess before made and after the amv was done, but i've lost myself with all those proggrams on the AMV GUIDE, finally i converted through VirtualDub with UTvideo codec and the episodes size are very large, i have only 1T hard drive and i dont think it would be enough for someone who is making a multiple anime music video, suggestions?
If space is a problem, check your source material to see if it is 8-bit or 10-bit video. If your source is 8-bit then you can simply recontainer the footage and work with MP4. While this is not the ideal, it avoids the quality loss and allows you to edit with the original footage without having to convert it.
Well, i did it with some episodes that were 8 bit and it worked perfectly(using recontaining), i tried it with a 10 bit show also just for the sake of it, i've noticed that the encoding is much faster and after opening the file it seems exactly like the soucre material, why it's forbbiden to recontain a 10 bit episodes?

Btw big thanks to you and the second guy that you actually answered me, you two helped me a lot :)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Vegas does not support decoding of 10-bit AVC (h.264) video, that is why.

Side note: Adobe CC supports 10-bit AVC decoding, so if you are using AE CC you might as well use Premiere because of the linking feature and 10-bit support too.

FailToilet
Org Profile

Post by FailToilet » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:33 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Vegas does not support decoding of 10-bit AVC (h.264) video, that is why.

Side note: Adobe CC supports 10-bit AVC decoding, so if you are using AE CC you might as well use Premiere because of the linking feature and 10-bit support too.
I wish i could use Premiere but it seems hard for me right now to learn 2 prog's at the same time, mostly because i'm already used to Sony Vegas.

albert6720
Org Profile

Post by albert6720 » Wed May 11, 2016 2:52 pm

I think converting in mp4 video will help you for a lot more space for making new videos with freemake video converter as i am also using this at my personal computer.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat May 14, 2016 9:09 am

albert6720 wrote:I think converting in mp4 video will help you for a lot more space for making new videos with freemake video converter as i am also using this at my personal computer.
Converting to a lossy format is never recommended and even if that was the best option there are better choices than a one click software like freemake.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”