How do you guys story board?

exkcal
Org Profile

How do you guys story board?

Post by exkcal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:19 am

I usually make my AMVs very linear with an start and ending in mind with a couple points I want to hit in between, I don't really write it down I just keep the ideas flowing. How do you guys plan your stuff out?

:bear:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: How do you guys story board?

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:25 am

It really depends on the project. A text file with some timestamps and notes is about as far as I go nowadays - Either notes on scene selection or general visual "style" but most of my stuff tends to just flow as I go from planning about 10% of the video.

I can't draw, so any visual representation would take more work to do than actually editing the video.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Post by EnQuatre » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:40 pm

I actually do a bit of the opposite approach. I tend to plan almost everything out on paper down to a shot-by-shot basis, with the understanding that some parts will of course change during the course of actual editing. I find this tends to make my editing process actually pretty fast after I cut my clips, as I already know what I'm looking for.

Needless to say, some parts don't always work out as well in practice as they did in my head, so my final AMV always ends up about 40% different, but having the framework is super useful.

This is a photo of my storyboard for the first AMV linked in my signature:

exkcal
Org Profile

Post by exkcal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:27 pm

EnQuatre wrote:

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/2pEPknZ.jpg
Holy Crap

UnluckyArtist
Partially-Formed Transformah
Org Profile

Post by UnluckyArtist » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:02 pm

An actual storyboard for an AMV sounds like too much unecessary work mostly cause you aren't really in control of how you want the video to look scene by scene, you can only use what footage you have to piece a puzzle around the music. It's just editing. So for me, any actual scene choices are mostly done on the fly but sometimes I use a page or a half a page in a notebook to list the layout of the music and when the changes are, like 0:13-0:30 - instrumental nonsense, 0:31-1:00 - Verse 1.. along with some other info like possible titles, what genre I'm going for.

Basically just cutting the music in sections and referring back to the layout while editing to see what type of clips I need for any of the sections. So my storyboard is kinda like a time cue cheat sheet. Keeping little things like continuity in mind.

Ochinchin AMVs
Org Profile

Post by Ochinchin AMVs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:21 am

exkcal wrote:
EnQuatre wrote:

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/2pEPknZ.jpg
Holy Crap
Hahahaha that was literally what I said to myself and planned to write. That is some major attention to detail.
Ore wa Ochinchin ga daisuku nandayo!

Return to “Video & Audio Help”