Resolution Question

Watatashi
Org Profile

Resolution Question

Post by Watatashi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:11 am

Asked for Fullmetal Alchemist series on blu-ray for Christmas and I started prepping the footage today. Problem is that it looks like this.

It has these large black bars on the sides of the frame. I'm assuming it's because this show was originally SD and now it's been converted to HD for blu-ray distribution. Was it not upresed or something? Feeling confused. Someone please help.

Watatashi
Org Profile

Re: Resolution Question

Post by Watatashi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:16 am

Sorry apparently images on a google drive aren't recognized as expected here. But this should work instead. Please take a look and let me know what's happening and what this means for the resolution of any AMV I wish to make using this footage. Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

Watatashi
Org Profile

Post by Watatashi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:18 am

Damn it... messed up again. I am just a disaster right now haha. Now it's finally correct. Sorry about all that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzx774 ... sp=sharing

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:35 pm

The 2003 FMA was produced in 4:3, the Blu-ray preserves that by pillarboxing it (not sure if Blu-ray allows flagging 1440x1080 as 4:3 or whether that's strictly for anamorphic 16:9, but that would be the other way it could be done). If they'd converted it to 16:9, then large parts of the image would be gone. That has nothing to do with whether it was upscaled or (for series much older than FMA) re-scanned from the original film stock.

Just crop the borders off, or if you have to mix it with 16:9 content, do the extra 1440x1080->1440x810 crop yourself.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Watatashi
Org Profile

Post by Watatashi » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Ah. Thanks very much. Couldn't I use Avisynth to preform the crop and then I wouldn't have to crop every clip I bring into my editing software?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Yes, you can use AviSynth to crop. For example,

Code: Select all

FFmpegSource2("input.mkv")
Crop(240,0,-240,0)
Which will crop 240 pixels from the left and 240 from the right. That may or may not be enough for that particular pillarboxing, but the numbers can always be adjusted*. More precisely, the Crop filter works like this:

Crop(left,top,right,bottom)

And the right and bottom values need to have a minus sign in front of them, since they're treated as negative numbers (unless it's zero, as seen above).

*one way to determine this is to open the uncropped video (or *.avs script without Crop() or where it's commented out) in VirtualDub, go into the Filters area and apply a Null Transform. Then select the null transform from the list of applied filters, go into VDub's Crop tool (which is right there in the Filters window) and visually pull the stuff in so you know exactly how much to crop. Then copy those values into the AviSynth script.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Video & Audio Help”