MPEG-4 on DVD playes

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:41 pm

man, I wish I had the money to buy all this cool stuff like HDTV's.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:57 pm

another question, with those blue lazer DVD's, what exctly would you be able to do with them for a regular TV? I mean, imagine how high the bitrates could get. Or how much video you could cram onto it. :drools:
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:51 am

I don't get the whole red-laser, blue-laser thing... I say just go with whatever gives the best video quality without taking up too much space...
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

tomj
Org Profile

Post by tomj » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:38 am

CaTaClYsM wrote:another question, with those blue lazer DVD's, what exctly would you be able to do with them for a regular TV? I mean, imagine how high the bitrates could get. Or how much video you could cram onto it. :drools:
The point about blue lasers is that you can cram enough data on that you can use MPEG-2 for long form recording in HD, since realtime MPEG-2 codecs are almost cheap, and otherwise you're stuck with expensive D-VHS - while another standard puts MPEG-4 on a standard DVD to achieve HD resolution, since MPEG-4 coding in HD doesn't appear to be feasible in realtime yet.

(zettai, you should have been at Minami - there was a guy there who used to work for Philips, and a friend and I had great fun grilling him about optical tech...)

Return to “Video & Audio Help”