heavy quality loss when i upload my vidoes

Eazy
Org Profile

heavy quality loss when i upload my vidoes

Post by Eazy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:36 am

First of all: i am new into video editing and followed this guide http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/ to create my videos. they look completly fine (to me), but when i upload them to youtube they just look like crap. i tried a lot of different filters/rendering settings but nothing seems to change at all.

thats how the video looks like:
Spoiler :
and thats how it looks like on youtube:
Spoiler :
i see a lot of high quality youtube uploads out there. what am i doing wrong?

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Re: heavy quality loss when i upload my vidoes

Post by The_McLaughlin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:07 pm

What video file type are you uploading? Also you pic cuts off the youtube quality icon so what are you running 240, 360, 720, ect.? Youtube will sometimes drop the quality if the video down to 240p if it detects your internet connection is low, and that will make it look somewhat blury and sometimes pixalated. Does it give you the option to bump it up to a higher quality at all? If it does try bumping that up to the highest setting and see if that does anything. I follow that same guide and compress my avi files from my editor to an mp4 file before uploading my amvs to the org and youtube and mine all still look alright on youtube.
If you can't or it doesn't make a difference upping the quality on youtube, what codec are you using when you encode out from your video editor. If you downloaded the amv app while following that guide you should have a few lossless codecs such as lagarith or huffyuv . If your not using one of those lossless codecs to encode your amvs already maybe try that as well.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:08 pm

animefreak00007 wrote:What video file type are you uploading? Also you pic cuts off the youtube quality icon so what are you running 240, 360, 720, ect.? Youtube will sometimes drop the quality if the video down to 240p if it detects your internet connection is low, and that will make it look somewhat blury and sometimes pixalated. Does it give you the option to bump it up to a higher quality at all? If it does try bumping that up to the highest setting and see if that does anything.
You can scroll over in the screenshot he posted...it shows that it's streaming at HD, so I'm guessing 720p or 1080p.

Eazy wrote:First of all: i am new into video editing and followed this guide http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/ to create my videos. they look completly fine (to me), but when i upload them to youtube they just look like crap. i tried a lot of different filters/rendering settings but nothing seems to change at all.
I can't really give any insight as to why the quality drops like that, unfortunately. The cynic in me wants to say that that's just what happens when you upload to YouTube, but you're right in that there are plenty of HD, good-looking videos out there on YT where that kind of quality drop isn't evident. To be honest though, your non-YT screenshot doesn't look that great either. There's definitely a noticeable difference in the two but it looks like the original was already not too pretty so the problem may not be in the final encode you used, but the original source material you were working with.

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:49 pm

YouTube's compression techniques suck for the most part. After all, they are about quantity and not quality. Recommended bit rate for video uploaded to YouTube at 1080p is 50Mbps, but even this won't get you anywhere if your source material that you edited already has a lot of data lossed in it's compression. As CrackTheSky says, even your final doesn't look too pretty. You'll find a lot of anime BluRays and DVDs out there that are already highly compressed in the picture and it's already a lost cause to begin with.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”