Enigmo
Org Profile

Turning gray parts of a video to black

Post by Enigmo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Okay, so I'll first show screenshots.
Spoiler :
ImageImage
ImageImage
As you may figure on your own, the left is the original and the right is my "colour corrected" version. My problem here is that in the original, the contrast is pretty low and so the black parts are too light and of course to fix that I naturally increased the contrast, and then I altered the colours in several ways to achieve a certain look. The problem is that despite the fact that I have increased the contrast quite a lot, you can see the ALL the almost-black parts have a blue tint over them and so I seek a way to darken the "almost-black parts" to completely black, however, I want to do so without it affecting any other colours. Is this possible? Or is my only option to increase the contrast and have all the other colours changed as well? And btw, I have already tried that gamma stuff but it's something that will for example darken the skin along with the black parts, and yeah, I don't want that.
Image Image

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Turning gray parts of a video to black

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Instead of adjusting it by bumping the contrast, adjust the levels instead and that should maintain the warmer color tones. Additionally I wouldn't recommend forcing those entire areas to full black would advise calibrating your monitor before making any adjustments to avoid crushing the the detail in the dark areas.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Instead of adjusting it by bumping the contrast, adjust the levels instead and that should maintain the warmer color tones.
So are you saying I should completely undo the contrast and brightness changes I've made right now and rely on levels? Or do you mean just adjusting them from my current work?
Image Image

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Enigmo wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:Instead of adjusting it by bumping the contrast, adjust the levels instead and that should maintain the warmer color tones.
So are you saying I should completely undo the contrast and brightness changes I've made right now and rely on levels? Or do you mean just adjusting them from my current work?
Yes, work from levels to start off with.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Enigmo
Org Profile

Post by Enigmo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:13 am

Alright, thanks for your help :)
Image Image

Return to “Video & Audio Help”