MKV to... After Effects

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: MKV to... After Effects

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Most editors I know work in 720p instead of 1080p (40% of the file size).
Most BRD movies I've used were about 40-50GB for a 90-100 min movie.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Ya, I'm only interested in 720p myself. thats all I ever try to download and use. Huh... thats interesting. The script we ended up having to use in the avs was meant for 10-bit HD right? Which means AVIsynth or virtualdub thinks the video is 1080p? but its just a 720p release of Valvrave Episode 10 by GG.

And though it's still a bit outside my preferred target size, 40-50GB for a 90-100 min movie is still better than nearly 35GB for 24min. Honestly this is all kind of funny, because this was ment to be a simple exercise to extract various scenes where User Interfaces are shown in different animes and movies and turn into into one montage video to have with me and inspire me lol. and its turning into this huge thing XD. Trust me though, I am very very interested in understanding all this better so when I finally make my own AMV or video, its one less hurdle. I just really really wish I could get 200-300mb file size results with decent enough quality (the quality while in the MKV seems perfectly awesome to me to be honest) to use in After Effects T_T

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm

varxtis wrote:Ya, I'm only interested in 720p myself. thats all I ever try to download and use. Huh... thats interesting. The script we ended up having to use in the avs was meant for 10-bit HD right? Which means AVIsynth or virtualdub thinks the video is 1080p? but its just a 720p release of Valvrave Episode 10 by GG.
10bit is the color depth, not the resolution.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:07 pm

k, gotcha. But l33t... so, the file sizes ARE accurate according to your method of extracting Video from MKVs? just wanna be sure im doing things right. 33.6gb for a 24min vid.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 pm

varxtis wrote:k, gotcha. But l33t... so, the file sizes ARE accurate according to your method of extracting Video from MKVs? just wanna be sure im doing things right. 33.6gb for a 24min vid.
Lossless videos are going to be very large (the sizes you mentioned sound about right), and unfortunately your videos are 10bit so you will not be able to simply recontainer the footage for use with editing software (8-bit videos would allow that).
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Fair Enough :) So how can i differentiate between 8-bit and 10-bit? It doesn't indication in the properties. Like, If I wanted to go find an 8-bit version, as unlikely as that might be. And say I did have 8-bit footage, cause Im sure there is in my collection, what do you mean recontainer it? Pull the video from MKV as avi and then use handbrake or virtualdub to change it to mp4 or something?

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:44 am

Sry for the double post... but I was curious about something and sure enough my fears are realized... I am truly ignorant to all this. So you know how we took the source video (valvrave -10.mkv) changed it to "video.mkv" copied it to C:\AMV\ and then created an avs file also named video.avs? Well I deleted the mkv, then took "guilty crown - 20.mkv", changed it to "video.mkv", copied it into C:\AMV\ and then ajusted the video.avs file to the following

Code: Select all

LWLibavVideoSource("video.mkv", format="YUV420P8") #Input video
ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709") #If the video is HD
When I save, open Virtualdub, and then try to open the avs file, I get the following error

Code: Select all

Avisynth open failure:
LWLibavideoSource: failed to get the video track.
(C:\AMV\video.avs, line 1)
Im so affraid that this is going to happen for every video I want to extract thats perhaps done by a different sub group :( I want to do this so very badly what to do what to do.
Another problem is, I think I do actually prefer this method for the quality sake... but with how my mind works, I have such little specific planning. I usually insert an entire episode and then scrub through After Effects and Premiere. This is going to be a HUGE adjustment to me. I could really use a pros guidance as Im starting to realize how badly ignorant I truly am T_T

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:08 am

... You don't need to rename anything. "video.mkv" is a generic variable name. And, yes, every source file will be different.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Fuzzy Chickens
Org Profile

Post by Fuzzy Chickens » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:28 pm

varxtis wrote:Is there anywhere or any books you might suggest me reviewing so i can better understand compression and codecs from a practical stand point?
Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>

Fuzzy Chickens
Org Profile

Post by Fuzzy Chickens » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Really? READFAG gets auto-filtered like that?

Return to “Video & Audio Help”