AVS error: DSS won't work, FFVS introduces artifacts

dreamoflife02
Org Profile

AVS error: DSS won't work, FFVS introduces artifacts

Post by dreamoflife02 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm trying to open an MKV in AVS 2.5 using FFVideoSource, and it's introducing strange artifacts like so:

Last night, this wasn't a big problem, I just used DirectShowSource instead and was able to resize and filter with no problem, everything looked fine in the f5 preview. But today, using DSS I get the error "avisynth.AvisynthError: ConvertToYUY2: Image width must be even. Use Crop!" It's 1280x720 footage, so is this a plugin or version issue?

dreamoflife02
Org Profile

Re: AVS error: DSS won't work, FFVS introduces artifacts

Post by dreamoflife02 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Okay, update-- I got ffvideosource to work properly by saving the new ffms2.dll in a separate folder and calling for it at the beginning of the script, so my problem is solved. I'm still curious to know if anyone knows what's up with DSS, though.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:15 pm

DSS is bad and you should feel bad.

Joking, you don't have to feel bad if you didn't know that it's bad (because it really is). Lack of frame accuracy is plenty enough to discourage its usage, the fact that it relies on your own directshow setup also means that results vary from computer to computer, and lack of accurate and consistent results ain't good when using something for video editing or encoding.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:04 am

FFMS2 can be non-frameaccurate too! OGM HEYOOOO

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 am

Since directshowsource use your direct show decoders for decoding the material, the problem most likely is related to those. I have found that most of these issues are caused from outdated filters and/or some codec packs. My recommendation would be to uninstall any codec packs/filters and reinstall the latest versions (individually) of the things you need. Here is a list of software that I recommend having installed, it is by no means an exhaustive list.
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:41 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Since ffms2 and directshowsource use your direct show decoders for decoding the material, the problem most likely is related to those.
FFMS2 doesn't use any DirectShow filters, with the exception of Haali, and that's just a splitter. And if you're using the C plugin (or used Visual Studio Express to build the trunk), it can't use Haali, so in that case it's entirely self-contained. The OP's artifact issue with FFMS2 is likely just related to it being an old build that's in desperate need of updating.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Qyot27 wrote:FFMS2 doesn't use any DirectShow filters, with the exception of Haali, and that's just a splitter. And if you're using the C plugin (or used Visual Studio Express to build the trunk), it can't use Haali, so in that case it's entirely self-contained. The OP's artifact issue with FFMS2 is likely just related to it being an old build that's in desperate need of updating.
You are correct, I meant to say DSS2. I have updated my posted to avoid reader confusion.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Video & Audio Help”