Removing subtitles from MKV files

jkuiper
Org Profile

Removing subtitles from MKV files

Post by jkuiper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Hello. I'm new here. Let me introduce myself before writing my question.
My name is John and my age is 45. I have done a lot with music editing in Ableton and Acid Pro. Last year I went to a convention and saw AMV's for the first time. I was really exited and thought to handle it to.

Now I'm started my first project. One of the rules of AMV is showing anime without subtitles. Some files (avi, mp4) has a built in subtitle. There's no other tool to delete them. Browsing on the internet I read MKV files are the best way to avoid subtitles. I have already an audio file and searched for the video's. 90% of the video's of my project are MKV's, so looking on the internet I found two ways of converting MKV without subtitles: virtualdub and mktoolnix.
First I tried virtualdub. This converter is converting the MKV into AVI. But the AVI is very large and wil not always working good.
The other way is mkvextract. This application is very fast and extract literally the video, audio and subtitles. But most of my MKV's are .h264 files and not AVI or MP4. So I have to convert the file again to a format Sony Vegas understand.
It cost me at least 90 minutes to get one corrected file for editing.

Is this the only way to get it work correctly? Or are there other tools witch are better to work with or is there another way for converting directly?

post-it
Org Profile

Re: Removing subtitles from MKV files

Post by post-it » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 am

Magix Video Pro x4 is my Prime Video Toy ^__^.

Howdy jkuiper.
. . . Somewhere in your understandings, you've become confused over the Files "Containers"
and "what can be added/removed" from them. MKv files do not actually Print the SUB onto
the screen; just like OGG/OGM files, it is along for the ride.
. Hono-Bono had 16 subs and 5 audio tracks all muxxed into "They Only Hunt Elves" with
the OGM container over 7 years ago.
. A container is like a "cup" for your coffee, it only "holds it."
. AVI, DIVX, MP4, RMA and XVID files can be stored into both MKV/OGM containers.
. . . Programs like Video-2-Video will either ignore the subbing if you tell it to .. or
it can add it if you know how to extract the SSA/SRT file.

. That which you have said is in-correct. well, yea; its a minor point to both of us.
However, it sounds silly to us to read,
jkuiper wrote:... But most of my MKV's are .h264 files and not AVI or MP4.
.. .. the point; if you know "what file" is a container and which one has the actual video then
you can answer your own question. [ T_T AviDeMux ] 0_0 where did that come from ....

:sorcerer: btw, this IS A F.A.Q. Here. :sorcerer:

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:18 am

Your best bet for getting started is to check out the Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>. This page in particular describes how to handle your particular situation.

Be aware, though, several components in the collection of software linked in the guide is rather out of date, and you'll likely have to update your ffmpegsource plugin manually. To do that, download this file and place the contents of it in your avisynth plugins directory (usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins" on 64-bit Windows systems and "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins" on 32-bit Windows systems).

jkuiper
Org Profile

Post by jkuiper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 am

Thank you both for the reply.

@LantisEscudo
This is really a good thing to do. Thank you for the link.

@post-it
Stupid, stupid, stupid. I could know it if I look further how MKV really works. I didn't know MKV is a collection of files witch can be work together.
First I shall read the guide lines before continueing my first AMV.

But I'll come back (with or without my first AMV).

Return to “Video & Audio Help”