Call to Arms: AVTECH4

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Call to Arms: AVTECH4

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 pm

It's quite advisable, but the avisynth workflow is deeply rooted into windows. Solutions to make it work out under osx and linux are available, but aren't optimal.
I originally wanted to have the newest avtech offer a workflow which could be followed easily on any OS, but as it stands it's not feasible.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:11 pm

Now that DVDFab is no more the guides really need an update...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 am

On the German Tutorial we (or JCD rather) just tell the people to use MakeMKV.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:29 pm

The problem with MakeMKV is that it's free only as long as it's beta.
When it'll become stable, you'll need to actually buy a license to use it.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

mirkosp wrote:The problem with MakeMKV is that it's free only as long as it's beta.
And it recontainers everything to MKV, which isn't so bad for most Blu-rays, but is not a good thing for DVDs.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
mirkosp wrote:The problem with MakeMKV is that it's free only as long as it's beta.
And it recontainers everything to MKV, which isn't so bad for most Blu-rays, but is not a good thing for DVDs.
Not true, actually. It doesn't always recontainer everything, but the method to do it is different between Blu-ray and DVD.

For Blu-ray, just use the Backup option. It outputs the entire decrypted disc structure, .m2ts and all.

For DVD, you can't use the Backup option. You have to start the streaming server, and then navigate through the web interface to where the vob file is. Either right-click->Save As..., or copy the URL and use a download tool like curl or wget to do it (the benefit of this tactic is that it can overcome the copy speed restrictions - I was only getting ~2 MB/s through Firefox but close to ~5 MB/s through curl). And it is both decrypted and still a vob file. It doesn't output the file structure, though, but it does put the titles forward as discrete files (which is what other DVD ripping tools like SmartRipper can do and doesn't really matter because of the fact that VTSes are dumb-split and can just be concatenated safely).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Ah, it's been a while since I used it, the last time I did I only saw the option to output an MKV. That said, that method sounds like a pain in the ass to explain to beginners, lol...

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:51 am

DVDFab was free? really? Last time I tried it it was full of restrictions and spam.. in the end I had to pirate an older version.
If I import a DVD ripped from makemkv with ffvideosource I should still be able to deinterlace and all that stuff right?
Seems like the easier option to me than having to deal with vob files.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 am

There is a free version with just the basic ripping and no re-encode feature, which is plenty enough for our needs (just ripping the content as-is).

As for ffms2, the issue is that interlaced content isn't quite frame accurate as it should. With interlaced content, DGIndex/DGIndexNV/DGAVCIndexDI are the only reliable solutions 100% of the time. LWLibavVideoSource can be reliable to a degree, I'd say like 99% of the time or so, but there might be some things which could fuck up slightly; still, if you want to go the makemkv route, you should definitely switch to L-Smash Works.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 am

Users that are paying for DGIndexNV are likely to already have software for decrypting that they paid for. I think the main thing is, a lot of users on this site in particular want whatever free option they can get and often have little concern for things like frame accuracy and maintaining the best quality (unfortunately). MakeMKV doesn't look like ids coming out of beta anytime soon, but even if it does it's still the cheapest option that I'm aware of. Are there any that you recommend mirkosp?

Return to “Video & Audio Help”