Ut Video x64 vs x86

JD_Lord1
Org Profile

Ut Video x64 vs x86

Post by JD_Lord1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Hello!

I just set up a new computer with Windows 7(64bit) and I was installing the AMVapp and it says to install the x86 version and then the x64 version of the Ut Video Codec. But I was wondering if I even need the 64bit version as neither Premiere CS4 nor VirtualDub found it. I noticed that there is a 64bit version of VirtualDub so would it be worth it to get that for any pre-processing before putting my footage into Premeire? Would AVIsynth be compatible with an x64 version of VirtualDub?

Also, is there a difference in an encoded file from using the different versions or do they simply improve rendering time (maybe it would be possible to use x64 in VirtualDub and x86 in CS4)?

I know, 20 questions, but thanks for any help in advance!
the JOSH

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Ut Video x64 vs x86

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

The amvapp is over 2 years old by now I think. MANY versions of UTVideo have been released*, the latest versions don't even have separate x86 and x64 installers!
http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvi ... .0-win.exe
Also, to play it safe, from the readme:
Installation Notice

Windows

If version 10.2.0 or older is installed, you have to uninstall that version before you install this version.

If VCM codec is not registered properly, merge utvideo.reg in install destination with registry as a last resort. This file assumes Windows directory is C:\Windows.
As the AMVApp has version UTvideo 8.2.0, you do need to uninstall it first.

Second question: Premiere CS4 is 32bit, so it won't be able to read the 64bit version, but as I said, there isn't the split installer anymore to begin with.

Third: you should use 32bit VirtualDub! In order to have 64bit VDub read .avs scripts properly, you need 64bit AVISynth, which at the current state of things is as bad of an idea as MT AVISynth, except it also suffers from a lack of filters compared to 32bit AVISynth ─ 64bit AVS has no ResampleHQ, even (but lacks others as well)! As far as MT goes, though, some filters have internal multithreading done safely, and they will work with vanilla avisynth, so you'll be able to enjoy the MT boost with those without any unstable avisynth build to begin with. Had to point all this out to INB4 EvaFan. :nose:

Fourth: one really would more care about the opposite. As in, you really should use 32bit avs+vdub. But if you use CS5+ instead of CS4, Premiere will be 64bit, and there is no difference in the ut video file itself, so you'll be able to encode it with the 32bit encoder from vdub, and decode it with the 64bit decoder from premiere. But if you have CS4, just stick to everything 32bit.

*And not just UTVideo; the AMVApp and AVTECH need a major updating by now.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 pm

x64 UTV is also slower, just sayin'.

JD_Lord1
Org Profile

Post by JD_Lord1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for the replies! You guys are certainly more dedicated to this stuff than I am!

From the info I've gathered from this thread I do plan to upgrade all my components from the AMVapp but I think I will stick to 32bit versions to keep things simple. Just getting AVISynth64 seems to be more of a hassle than I'm willing to commit. I don't use AVISynth nearly as much as you guys (like 5-7 lines of code?) and I mostly do my pre-processing encodes over night so it's not a huge deal when it comes to encode times anyway. I do understand your reasoning for using it EvaFan and maybe someday when I upgrade Premiere and AE (which I don't plan to do anytime soon) it would certainly be worth the effort. I guess I was just more concerned with compatibility more than anything.
the JOSH

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:22 am

A bit late, but I split the whole OT in this thread for better management; sorry guys, my fault too for baiting EvaFan's reply to begin with. It was more for the fun of it than anything, I didn't mean any harm and hope he didn't take it so, also because we've been through this discussion many times by now, so I pretty much consider it as an inside joke by now. :amv:

Return to “Video & Audio Help”