60 fps vs 30 fps in amvs.

Foristality
Org Profile

Post by Foristality » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Is there any benefit from major benefit in editing with 60 fps?

I noticed when beats are really faster, you can sync a lot more accurate with 60 fps rather than 30 fps

Anyone else edits with 60 fps?

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:40 pm

"Not I" said the fish.

But I can't shake the feeling that it's going to fuk something up.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Re: 60 fps vs 30 fps in amvs.

Post by irriadin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:24 pm

The only guy I know who edits in 60fps is this dude: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... _id=222270

Foristality
Org Profile

Post by Foristality » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:54 pm

Does anyone know the framerate for the Decoy ops first technique beat?.

It is really fast super. I was thinking that its 60 fps

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:48 am

They're all dumb because the brain can't distinguish sync issues at anything over 10fps (ie 100ms frame/sample). The only reason we use higher framerates is smoothness of motion hax, and because of the electrical grid frequencies prevalent in analogue display units.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Although you CAN keep your eyes on the audio spikes in your meter when skimming frame by frame, like I do.

Looking for a peak db wavelength can be the bass/drum hit and thus marks the place where you can start your video clip.

Other than that, it is close to impossible to match it up with softer parts of the song when doing so.

You should probably just stick with 30fps and round to the nearest frame when syncing. It'll still look/sound good (granted, you are a good enough editor to execute it well). Less converting to worry about.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 am

30fps and 60fps are both stupid seeing as neither is a multiple of the FILM rate. Why not at least use something that can be safely rendered if you want high framerates? My previous point about anything more than 10fps being useless for audio sync still stands though.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:24 am

I edit 60fps sometimes only because my video feels too laggy and the need the sync neccessities are okay with both 30 and 60

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:12 am

Mister Hatt wrote:30fps and 60fps are both stupid seeing as neither is a multiple of the FILM rate. Why not at least use something that can be safely rendered if you want high framerates? My previous point about anything more than 10fps being useless for audio sync still stands though.
As far as AMVs are concerned, one thing to think about is how much you will be timescaling. I tend to edit at film rate most of the time, but some of my videos would likely turn out just as well if I edited them in video rate, etc. for cases in which I timescale a lot. The actual motion in pretty much every older anime and many newer ones is only 12fps anyway. If you only want to use unique motion frames, you'll be cranking the playback rate up to double.

tl;dr framerate doesn't matter much if you pay attention and tweak your frame placement well.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue May 01, 2012 1:05 pm

I actually find fps doesn't make a huge difference with timing, but rather what's more important is to make your synch patterns consistent with the patterns in the music. For instance, if you have 5 beats in a row *dum-dadum-dadum*, and you synch it using 5 cuts, you DON'T space them 5 cuts evenly spaced apart. It would be one cut followed by a slightly longer pause followed by two groups of two cuts. If the group of cuts is 1/60th of a second off, the difference is going to be negligible because the viewer is more focused on the pattern of timing than anything else. So, while precision is nice, the most important thing is to make your synch patterns as a group match the music.

That being said, 30fps and 60fps are good for achieving smooth motion since (in North America) your monitor refresh rate is 60Hz (which is usually related to your wall socket clock-rate, like Hatt said.) However it is only going to pay off if *all* your frames are unique. In anime, that's almost unheard of since anime is ~24fps with most of those being duplicates as well. The only ways to get truly 30-60 unique frames in one second is to remove your duplicates via decimation which effectively speeds up your footage... or just speed up your footage in your editor (Like I did when I made "Awakened" back in 2007), which may or may not give the effect you want. The other way is via frame-interpolation through something like Twixtor or AviSynth's MVTools.
Foristality wrote:Does anyone know the framerate for the Decoy ops first technique beat?.
It is really fast super. I was thinking that its 60 fps
Naruto's Technique Beat was not 60fps. It was 24fps. Which is about what it should be [23.976...]
So, if you are concerned about 60fps timing... don't be.
irriadin wrote:The only guy I know who edits in 60fps is this dude: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... _id=222270
JCD

So, anyway. Yeah, focus on the editing itself.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Return to “Video & Audio Help”