Extract Gamecube FMVs problem...help?

LD_Out
Org Profile

Extract Gamecube FMVs problem...help?

Post by LD_Out » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here, glad to be finally part of you wonderful lot, I came across this thread on about how one would extract FMVs from a Gamecube game:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 44&t=93501

and while it is great, I also done another method on accessing the games using GC-Tools. I did it to the gamecube version of Resident Evil 3 inwhich I wanted to extract the FMVs which I managed to locate. However, this is where the problem lies, unlike in that tutorial where the videos were in Bink format, this one was in .STR extension, which is also the same kind that PS1 games used, but very strange enough, after hours of researching on the internets, NOONE has ever discussed these .STR video files as they cannot be played whatsoever! :( I have tried loading it into converters and loaded it through DirectShowSource via. AviSynth but it says it doesnt recognise the file type, I even tried playing it through a PSX movie players which ultimately rejected it or in some cases, crashed it.

I really want to try and view these great FMVs as they are one of a kind, and I stil cant get my head around that it seems no one has ever come across .STR files in a gamecube game. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me on this, unlike other consoles I dont know too much on how videos are encoded for the Gamecube except for Bink, but it seems more than one kind can be used on the console.

Thanks for hearing and I hope to hear back from you lot too! :)

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Extract Gamecube FMVs problem...help?

Post by mirkosp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 pm

You can try grabbing ffms2 and placing dll, exe, and avsi in your avisynth plugins folder and then use

Code: Select all

FFVideoSource("bla.str")
and see if that does it or not. If it doesn't, then it means libav does not have a decoder for this format as of yet, so the best/only way to get the FMVs on your PC is to hook up your console to the computer and then record them as you play. Quality could be somewhat hindered, but it's better than nothing...
However I am somewhat hopeful that ffms2 could work since libav lists a "Sony Playstation STR" format as supported file format, which I believe refers to the .str extension in general, so perhaps it works for your gamecube .str files as well. :bear:

LD_Out
Org Profile

Post by LD_Out » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Just tried that nad it doesnt work, "Avisynth open failure"

:(

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 pm

IIRC lavc can handle it but lavf can't. It's HVQM4 codec inside some random "STR" container which may or may not be the same as Sony's. You can try passing explicit demuxer/decoder options to avconv and dump a raw YUV or RGB stream I suppose, read the docu. avprobe might help too if I'm wrong.

LD_Out
Org Profile

Post by LD_Out » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Damn, I really still cant get this to work, I tried it with FFMPEG with Avanti's GUI, and it still fails :(

Unfortunately I dont quite know how to make use of the libav decoders (or maybe I've forgotten to?) but it would be great if it can! So, for the sake of you lot and to make things abit easier, I have uploaded the smallest fmv example on the disc (with a site that has not been shutdown!): http://uploading.com/files/5943bf28/roopne.str

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Looks like libav doesn't like it after all, certainly not the container. Did a bit of digging in the bitstream to see if I could get any info on the format but nothing that isn't already on the internet. Incidentally, came across what looks like your thread on doom9 about it. I'd say follow it up there simply because more libav devs and other reverse-engineering people hang out there, alongside D_S. Not much you can do about it short of trying to figure out the format of the container and somehow extract a stream. From what other's were saying, MJPEG with some huffman coding, so rather simple to write a decoder once you can get it out of the container at least. Sorry I can't help more, maybe others here know.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”