Weird Black frame around video

AniDragon
Org Profile

Weird Black frame around video

Post by AniDragon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:49 pm

So... I have a weird issue with my latest AMV that I'm wondering if anyone could help me with.

First of all, the downloaded version seems to work perfectly fine on multiple computers. There's no sign of the issue at all.

However, on any streaming site, such as on YouTube, and on the preview here, there's a weird black frame around the video. Which wouldn't bother me so much if it was even, because then I could pretend it was intentional, but the video is off center and yeah. Just looks weird.

The video in question is this one:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=181764

It was made in iMovie, which I've worked with before with no problems. However, I don't have access to it anymore, so hopefully the answer doesn't lie in editing it there.

The only thing I can think of is that there's one of the clips used that's a 4:3 instead of 16:9 like the rest of it, but you'd thinking that would only add the top and bottom bars.

Does anyone have any clue how I could fix this?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Weird Black frame around video

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:20 pm

The bars are in the file. The off-centered thing might be be a bug in the preview due to the wonky ultra-tiny resolution.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Roxnappollo
Org Profile

Post by Roxnappollo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 pm

I just started making amv's again and am also noticing a problem with the black box around the video. I seem to remember figuring out what I was doing wrong long ago, but have forgotten what I did. All of the video files I used in this specific video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqwUuKn ... q45oKUqO0=

All play back with no black border when I open them in VLC or Windows Media player, but no matter what type of file I save the finished video as, there is always a black border around the video. I did notice that even though I've checked the properties of the clips I used and they all say 720 x 480 some of the video looks to be different sizes. I can say that the Guilty Crown and Fate clips were downloaded through a client and the Angel Beats were ripped from a dvd. Is this just something I'm going to have to get used to using video from different sources? I have quite a bit to learn about video properties I guess so any help on this would be amazing!

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:08 am

If you handle different clips with different AR the same way, then yeah you have issues. The youtube problem is most likely youtube badly compensating for frame cropping or else your AR is broken and they're using an old lavc. Either way, learn to handle aspect ratio properly.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”