Norton Vs ?

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Norton Vs ?

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:40 pm

I am wondering if anyone would be able to tell me whats so wrong with using Norton's? I have heard from a lot of people I know, and read that it wasn't the program for them. I honestly don't know what is wrong with using it besides that it takes up a huge load of space on my computers... I have used Norton for 6 years or so and have never gotten a single virus or worm while having it on my computer...

I don't know any other virus protection software out there besides what my sister uses with is MacFee (I think).

There isn't really a post towards video software but I thought it would fit here... (sorry if not ^^) but I would like to know any thoughts on Norton, and what other software I could potentially use that I can purchase either online or in Canada.. cause if I can't get it mailed or in person then there isn't a real point on my looking it up =D

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Re: Norton Vs ?

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:30 pm

I haven't used Norton since my first computer years ago, but from what I remember, it was more aggressive and resource-hogging than it needed to be for my purposes... and it wasn't free :|
But to be honest, I don't think it matters what antivirus software you use... what's more important is how you use your computer, so I wouldn't pay for it. It's mostly just a money-making business IMO, and could actually leave you more vulnerable since it's quite widespread on computers out-of-the-box... thus more likely to be targeted. Actually, I think a good browser like Firefox/Chrome with NoScript, Adblock Plus, and regular use of CCleaner can be more beneficial than any antivirus software, but it's still good to have something as a backup. Personally I use AVG Free.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Both Norton and McAfee are horrendously designed bloatware with higher than average false-positive detections and poor detection rates. - especially given their cost.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Bloatware plus resource hogs. Not to mention, there are better/more reliable AV software out there that don't cost a cent.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Such as microsoft security essentials.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Kariudo in the happy thread wrote:Avast! Antivirus (free or paid)
F-Secure
ESET NOD32
Kaspersky
Avira

...pretty much anything not Norton. Detection rates should be marginally better, but the thing is Norton has a bad reputation for messing up computers (and hasn't been able to remove jack s^*# in my experience). It might've gotten better, but years of mediocrity still leave me extremely weary.

At any rate, just remember that in the end a system is only as secure as the user (which in most cases isn't very secure)

Avast!, AVG, Avira and BitDefender all have legitimate free versions, and I personally use Avast! Free
Also, just because Norton hasn't detected any viruses doesn't mean that you don't have a virus...you just don't have any that Norton can detect (same goes for every other antivirus software). You're probably clean, but again, my confidence in Norton isn't exactly high.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Don't use Norton.

Simply because Kariudo will you slap you to another nationally if you do.

TheDevian
Org Profile

Post by TheDevian » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:50 pm

on top of all that as a person who cleans viruses as a hobby for people, I get nortons systems that are infected all the time. Even ones that are fully 'up to date' and paid up and all that. But yet Norton can't find anything wrong...
I can say the same for Kasperkey, and some of the others.
I use Avast myself, and have for years. It's one of the best, and it's free if you can't afford it =}

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks for all the replies =3
Now I just need to figure out what I am going to switch over too (after my Norton runs out =P cause I'm not wasting moneys ^-^) =DD

TheDevian
Org Profile

Post by TheDevian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:21 pm

too late for that, that money is wasted. protection is what is important. I would ask for a refund since you got infected anyway, and get a program that works. ;} Good Luck

Here are links to three free programs that will help, anti-virus, spyware, and a firewall.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us ... rewall.htm

Return to “Video & Audio Help”