Updated AVtech Guide - Beta

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Re: Updated AVtech Guide - Beta

Post by Snowcrash » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:03 am

Phantasmagoriat wrote: Obtaining your Source Footage:
What source will you take your footage from?
Downloaded footage - No. I don't care what anyone says about the current quality of fansubs or anything like that, downloaded footage is almost always second grade.
After a lot of discussions about PAL DVD on avisynth section, I disagree with that. Not everyone is leaving in NTSC countries and can get good footages for editing. Most PAL DVD have been done with a bad "NTSC to PAL" transfer and it's really a mess to get a good source (except few companies which did a good work) !

So what do we do ? Just download a good footage with a correct framerate and good deinterlacing.
And don't tell me to import NTSC DVD just to edit an AMV :roll:

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:03 am

Uh... well if you want to use it then just follow what it says about downloaded footage. Whats the problem?

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:11 am

Zarxrax wrote:Uh... well if you want to use it then just follow what it says about downloaded footage. Whats the problem?
I will ^^

If I seem a bit angry it's just because when the first time I asked how to convert a 25 fps to 23.97 fps (I would like to work with PAL DVD), few people told me it was completely stupid to work with this kind of DVD. So after a lot of explanations I understood I should avoid PAL DVD and then finally have to download my sources.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:05 pm

I understand what you mean.
I think that has been in the guides for a long time for the ethical reasons, even if it is not stated explicitly.
However, things have changed a lot with downloaded footage over the years, and I have my own opinions on the matter.

As you found out, there are exceptions. Some are described later in the paragraph:
If there happens to be some footage that you've downloaded that you really can't find officially (like, for instance, something which was never released on DVD) then it might be alright to use this method.
I think [improper] PAL footage is another exception. This reminds me of the time I bought Kino's Journey off Amazon-- BAD IDEA! They were not the good kind of PAL DVD's... they were the mangled kind of PAL DVD's. In this case I would rather use downloaded footage, and I'm not going to buy Kino's Journey again :amv:

Perhaps the following text could be added to the guide:
"But let's say you own official DVD's that the anime company encoded improperly (many official PAL DVD's have blending/framerate issues). It would be ridiculous to purchase the same series again, but in a different format. In this case you may feel justified in using downloaded footage (assuming you can find good enough quality)."
So yes there are exceptions, and certainly don't feel bad about it :wink:
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:52 pm

I am not allowed to encourage the use of downloaded footage in any way. This is phade's rule for the site. He barely even allowed me to put a page in telling how to work with downloaded footage.

But on another topic: what would be the best format for a downloadable version of the guide? A PDF, or just a collection of all the html files?
I suppose the pdf route is makes it easier to print out the whole guide, but then its difficult to jump around to different parts, and some sections like the example images in the avs scripting part wont really work in that format.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Yeah, I can't see the .org's stance on downloaded footage changing any time soon. Maybe we should leave it at that.

About downloadable versions: Both pdf and html if possible. Although I prefer html because if I'm making an amv, I would probably be using my computer anyways.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Bleh, making a pdf is too much trouble. I'm not gunna bother.

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:24 am

Zarxrax, I definitely prefer the html version for download.
A pdf could have been a good idea if you want a paper support but I don't think anyone here want to print the whole guide. However if someone want to print just a part of the guide, he has just to print the html page.

About downloaded footages, it's the problem of everyone I suppose and I understand the position of org about illegal downloading. It can't encourage this kind of acting ^^
It's not like if anyone here download animes XD and since the BD arrival on the market, we can got good HD footages now.
Phanstamagoriat wrote:This reminds me of the time I bought Kino's Journey off Amazon-- BAD IDEA! They were not the good kind of PAL DVD's... they were the mangled kind of PAL DVD's.
Phantasmagoriat, you're canadian so why did you buy a PAL dvd of Kino ? You're living in a NTSC country, aren't you ? Maybe there was no NTSC version of Kino at the time of your purchase...

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 am

Sn0wcrash wrote:Phantasmagoriat, you're canadian so why did you buy a PAL dvd of Kino ? You're living in a NTSC country, aren't you ? Maybe there was no NTSC version of Kino at the time of your purchase...
I was importing The Animatrix BD from Amazon because I couldn't find it anywhere else. Then I thought I should buy some other stuff along with it, and Kino's Journey had a good price. But I forgot that Amazon was a company based in the UK which uses PAL :|.

Now I always check the format when I buy from Amazon. :nose:

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:58 am

Phantasmagoriat wrote:------------

A/V TECHNICAL GUIDE [Linear_Styled_Version_1.2]

[...]

All the same information is there in a nice linear fashion, and the way you cleaned it up made it that much easier Zarx. Thanks.
Sure it might not look as pretty :aimkissyface:, but I modeled it off the way textbooks are written (they're written that way for a reason... :book: )

So. I don't know what other people think, but I think the index page needs a makeover.

~Phan
I will defintely reuse this Linear version for the AMV-France wiki (which really need an upadte >_>).
Thanks for that ;)

Return to “Video & Audio Help”