How do you people find such great songs???

This forum is for the general discussion of Music.

How do you people find such great songs???

Postby Vershiris » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:46 am

I practically listen to just new rock and rap and dnb, that sort of thing, and im finding it impossible to find amazing songs like Im always seeing the community use. I listen to the radio, the charts, I look on the internet but I cant find as awsome and original songs as everybody else is using. Anyhelp on where to look?
Vershiris

Re: How do you people find such great songs???

Postby Enigma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Last.FM?Friends?YouTube?Google?
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid

Postby Vershiris » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:49 pm

last.fm allows you to search for bands and songs, I dont think it introduces you to new music. My friends listen to practically the same thing as me. Ive never found any good music on youtube apart from songs used with AMV's which I would then not use. Googles a search engine so once again id be searching for a band or song.
Vershiris

Postby CodeZTM » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Vershiris wrote:last.fm allows you to search for bands and songs, I dont think it introduces you to new music. My friends listen to practically the same thing as me. Ive never found any good music on youtube apart from songs used with AMV's which I would then not use. Googles a search engine so once again id be searching for a band or song.

To be honest, the songs on this site introduced me to tons of new music genres I would have otherwise ignored. Just download tons of AMV's, and you're bound to find something new you like.

A short list of bands found here that I adore now:

*Yellowcard
*The Wombats
*They Might Be Giants
*Yalla/Arash
*Run With The Kittens
*Family Force 5

And the list goes on from there.
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Enigma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Vershiris wrote:last.fm allows you to search for bands and songs, I dont think it introduces you to new music. My friends listen to practically the same thing as me. Ive never found any good music on youtube apart from songs used with AMV's which I would then not use. Googles a search engine so once again id be searching for a band or song.

No.In Last.FM u listen to bands similar to *insert band here* or *insert genre*, So if u like *insert genre* just listen to that radio and your bound to find something good.
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid

Postby ShatteredFlame » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:21 pm

For the most part every time I come on here all I see people using is some crap looped programmed music. Or some getsoldafter2listens J-Pop hit.
ShatteredFlame

Postby Fire_Starter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Vershiris wrote:I practically listen to just new rock and rap and dnb, that sort of thing. I listen to the radio, the charts, I look on the internet but I cant find as awsome and original songs as everybody else is using.

Therein lies your problem. You have to be willing to go beyond your "comfort zone" in music. Looking at the charts will NOT due this, as the vast majority of stuff on Billboard is homogenous crap. "New" rock sucks ass (I'm looking at YOU, Nickelback), and even the less "radio-friendly" stuff isn't all that great. Honestly, don't be afraid to look outside of North America, and I don't mean just Japan.

As for RnB, you definitely need to get the hell out of the mainstream to find stuff that's not about "oh girl i wanna sex you all night long", or rap that's not about (as Yahtzee would say) "guns, whores, and whores getting shot with guns." On the RnB side, I tend to like stuff similar to Joss Stone. Yes, she's more mainstream-ish, but it's at least better than a lot of the other stuff. For rap, look into Lupe Fiasco and especially Bomani Armah (aka D-Mite, of "Read A Book" fame).

Also, don't be afraid to dig in to soundtracks from video games as a jumping-off point for other works by those artists. Poets of the Fall originally made a splash over here with Late Goodbye from Max Payne 2, and Lift from the 3DMark credits. They have 3 albums out and they're pretty damned good. Also check the intertubez for their live cover of Chris Cornell's You Know My Name. Very good stuff to be had there.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010
Fire_Starter

Postby Bauzi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:34 am

In all honesty: Mainstream radio will give you almost nothing more than generic crap. It might sound good at the first time, but you get so sick of it after some time. Of course there are some songs that I like on the radio, but there was only one surprise for me this year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUsbpmQ9-mc
8-bit Pop in mainstream radio? OMG!

Listen to last.fm and download amvs. That's at least how I found all my favourite bands.
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby TenseiHenry » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am

Like others have mentioned Last.fm is really probably the best place to find artists. But you do have to also try listening to genres and artist that you normally wouldn't listen to. If you find you like the song you like in a amv, look up the artist and you could possibly end up liking some of their other works. Last.fm's radio is nice if you're looking for maybe similar songs also.
Fire_Starter wrote:Honestly, don't be afraid to look outside of North America, and I don't mean just Japan.

Most of my favorite bands now don't even come from North America, so don't only look at the radio/charts here.
TenseiHenry

Postby ShatteredFlame » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Besides last.fm I subscribe to blogs and check out user list on rateyourmusic
ShatteredFlame

Postby Dar » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:16 pm

check out the band Thursday :D
hardly anyone has used em for amvs yet
(besides the thursday mep of course >_>)
Dar
yuri addict

Postby Fire_Starter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Dar wrote:Thursday :D

Stop contributing to the problem. :nono: :wink:
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010
Fire_Starter

Postby ShatteredFlame » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:43 pm

Fire_Starter wrote:
Dar wrote:Thursday :D

Stop contributing to the problem. :nono: :wink:

Lmao I hear nowadays The Dillinger Escape Plan is completely outstaging them on their own tour

Someone use TDEP, cause no one ever uses any extreme music :cry:
ShatteredFlame

Postby kentoshogun » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't know if it's normal, but i normally don't look for a song to fit the source video, i look for a video to fit the song, what i mean is that i normally get inspired by the song instead of the anime, what it means that the thing you need is to open your mind to new music always, when you listen to something and you like it, it can happen that the idea for the amv comes in a second, there are sooooo many ways to find new music. As many of users told you, LastFM is one of the best ways.

Anyway, the first step is to ask yourself what kind of music or genre you most like.

In my blog http://lastfmusic.blogspot.com/ you can find a hell of a lot of genres to explore, (yes it's in spanish), anyway, i know lot of them have copyright, but since it's not the only blog of this kind in the internetz, doesn't matter. But i will say that if you really like some stuff, buy it, you'll feel well, like happen to me with Doves,Radiohead,etc.

GL.
kentoshogun

Postby Kai Stromler » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:29 pm

Getting into new music is a process of a) getting outside of your current comfort zone, as Fire_Starter already noted, and b) having faith in exploration to get you there. Being kind of old-fashioned (and on a crap connection when not at work), I can't speak for lastfm's efficacy, but here are some other thing you might try while trawling said service.

- trawl through the What Are You Listening To Right Now thread and look up bands that the description sounds interesting from. Not just for their music; if you like the music, look them up on Wikipedia and see who the current members have played with in the past, what past members are doing right now, etc. If you Google them and find people on music forums slagging them as a lame ripoff of band Y, dig up band Y's stuff and listen to that and do the same process. If people are promoting band Z as "the new band X", go ahead and listen to them as well.

- this is much less useful than it used to be in the pre-digital age, but if you're noticing that a lot of the bands you like tend to be on the same couple indie labels, anything that you find recorded on that label is worthy of consideration. When I was in college, people used to buy anything recorded on Matador because the Frogs were on Matador and that gave it immediate credence; I have yet to find a bad record recorded on Deepsend (though they did refuse to sign Porphyria because they wore bandanas), even though the kind of death metal that they specialize in can turn pretty bad pretty easily. Majors, of course, are too big for this to be useful.

- deliberately listen to music you don't want to bother with. If you go to see a band you like live, go at doors and see the openers, then stick for the headliner if the band you like is opening. You'll never get into a new band if you decide they suck and don't go see them. If you're at a big show and someone hands you a flier for a DIY gig, don't just throw it away; look up the bands playing and go if you're interested and don't have any other commitments. If you're going to a festival anyway, go all the way through the fine print at the bottom of the bill and see all of the undercard bands that look interesting at all, or at least as many as you can.

- read through Last Plane To Jakarta, including and especially the archives. John Darnielle has interest in a ridiculously wide range of music and a penchant for digging out gems from the bottom of any pile he comes across, and the writing is pretty good as well.

hth,

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
IT'S TIME!
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available
Kai Stromler

Next

Return to Music Discussion