Vinyl: Your opinion?

This forum is for the general discussion of Music.

Vinyl: Your opinion?

Postby Athena » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:54 am

I just purchased an Audio-Technica AT-PL300 because it was on sale at a store near my apartment, and am using it to listen to the Macross and Kimagure Orange Road LPs/EPs I have purchased, and I have to say, compared to the digital files I am used to listening to through my sound system, I am pretty sure I hear a difference. As long as the record itself is in good condition, the sound seems a lot... deeper than I am used to hearing.

What does the org say? (besides Beo :P I know his opinion).
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Re: Vinyl: Your opinion?

Postby Ingow » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:52 am

Kionon wrote:As long as the record itself is in good condition, the sound seems a lot... deeper than I am used to hearing.

Yea agreed, might still be mostly a psychological thing, but even then people do need their Placebos too, so w/e really.

I always think that buying vinyls would be the better choice in general, CDs have become quite not worth their money with the 2-pages of printed small paper in front and back without any real booklets anymore and just being a bland looking small disc etc.

And as for the sound as I've said it just seems like it has more power behind it. I never really looked up the theories behind that and what exactly makes the difference though.
Ingow

Postby ShatteredFlame » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 am

My family has a bunch of jazz, blues, rock and roll, and some latino dance records. The sound is pretty retro, they give that timeless feeling but the remastered CD's definitely sound better. I haven't listened to anything from the past 30 years on it, probably won't work anyway.

And I agree on that CD's don't seem to be worth the money. $15 for most vinyl's in store sounds like a much better deal then $12 a CD.
ShatteredFlame

Postby xexyzl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

ShatteredFlame wrote:And I agree on that CD's don't seem to be worth the money. $15 for most vinyl's in store sounds like a much better deal then $12 a CD.
That would be true . . . except for the fact that I've never consistently seen Vinyl sold for less than $20.
xexyzl

Postby Otohiko » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm

I've always heard a difference in vinyl. There is, objectively, a difference - you would get a different sound picture from it than a CD. Whether it's really BETTER is debatable. But it's certainly different and really does have its nuances and pluses for listening to stuff.

My main reason for not really being a vinyl user, though, is portability/practicality. It's very impractical for someone who lives in a small room and moves around a lot to be a record collector. Even CDs are a bit of a pain for me.

Otherwise, when/if I'm rich and settled, hell yes I'm starting to collect vinyl stuff.
Otohiko

Postby Athena » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:55 pm

xexyzl wrote:
ShatteredFlame wrote:And I agree on that CD's don't seem to be worth the money. $15 for most vinyl's in store sounds like a much better deal then $12 a CD.
That would be true . . . except for the fact that I've never consistently seen Vinyl sold for less than $20.

This is all a matter of the search. On the one hand, my usual stop, Mandarake has a tendency to be really more accurate in its pricing on used vinyl: which is to say it costs more. However, I got the Macross Iijima Mari Song Memory "Minmay Sings For You" LP from 1986 in Hard Off for a mere ¥105, or roughly a buck. There's a lot of other stuff there too all priced around that, including Gundam, Urusei Yatsura, Crusher Joe, Yamato... And that's just the anime. They have a rare section too that's more expensive, of course, but it's mostly Beatles. Now that I have a player, I'll probably buy a few of these, because for a dollar each, you can't go wrong.

Hard Off is a great store, it's supposed to stand for Hardware Half-Off and is either used goods or extra odds and ends that have been acquired by the store from the manufacturers. The player I got was brand new, retails at $199. I got it for $99. Book Off, same chain, is better for CD purchases, but it's a bit of a hike from me. A short drive, but I'm unable to drive at the moment, need to get me new Japanese driver's license this week.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby ShatteredFlame » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:03 pm

xexyzl wrote:

Hot Topic(yep..they have pretty cool shit on their site) and Amazon usually have newly release vinyls for $15-$20

And Bestbuy but they usually never have anything besides the top selling metal records. like Wrath by Lamb of God :cry:
ShatteredFlame

Postby xexyzl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

ShatteredFlame wrote:
xexyzl wrote:

Hot Topic(yep..they have pretty cool shit on their site) and Amazon usually have newly release vinyls for $15-$20

And Bestbuy but they usually never have anything besides the top selling metal records. like Wrath by Lamb of God :cry:
Most metal vinyls are limited pressings anyways, so once the 666 copies or whatever are sold out the price starts to skyrocket past the $30 mark.
xexyzl

Postby Shui » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:15 pm

I purchase most of my music digitally, but if I had a choice I'd prolly switch to Vinyl.
It looks cooler and there's more meaning to a single song, with a CD you have too much choice and half of it won't be heard that often anyway.
Shui
Shuitcake

Return to Music Discussion