Across the Universe soundtrack

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
spacekase
Org Profile

Across the Universe soundtrack

Post by spacekase » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:48 pm

Anyone else here seen the movie or heard the album? Dear God in heaven. Nearly 2 hours of pure audio bliss. These are by far (in my opinion) the best interpretations of The Beatles songs that will ever exist. Ever.

I hate U2, but I must admit even Bono tore it up on "I Am the Walrus" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". Also not a fan of Joe Cocker, but his "Come Together" rocked as well. The best, however, was "Let it Be" sung by an all-black gospel choir. I was damn near moved to tears.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. One request, please don't bring up the god awful Bee-Gee's Sgt. Peppers. I'd like to forget that ever existed... :roll:

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:09 am

I was lucky enough to see the movie while I was back in the US in September - $10 for the ticket (NYC prices, natch) but still well worth it.

What sucks is that the basic soundtrack only has about half of the songs in the movie - you have to get the deluxe edition (on iTunes or whatev) to get all of the songs.

Serv0
Org Profile

Post by Serv0 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:11 pm

The music in the film was awesome. Purchased the $10 soundtrack immediately after watching the movie. Still need to get the deluxe version. BTW, there are two versions of the deluxe version. One can be purchased via Best Buy chain and Itunes, while the other is available through other download outlets such as torrents.

I didn't like the film itself though. It feels like the screenplay is originally longer and that someone shortened it for proper motion picture length. Keep in mind during post-production, that Revolution Studios had disputed with Julie Taymor to shorten the film even more down. Eventually Taymor was able to use her cut for theatrical release. More info can be viewed here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=37341

But still I didn't like the plot of the film. A lot of things (besides the Psychedelic) didn't make sense, such as the explanation of conflict between Sadie and Jojo, the obscure story of Maxwell's time in Vietnam, and the resolution in the end between Jude and Lucy. The ending in my opinion is an example of a Deus Ex Machina, through the unexplained cooperation of Jude's re admittance to the U.S and the Police's cooperation through the roof singing. It seems like someone was writing the story, realized it was too long, and suddenly rushed to write an ending.

Point being, the movie is a one watch only.
But the music is where the real heart is.

Personal favorite songs:
1)Across the Universe
2)Strawberry Fields Forever
3)Hey Jude
4)I am the Walrus

BTW, there are a LOT of Beatles references and trivia.

spacekase
Org Profile

Post by spacekase » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:29 am

I'll agree the plot was weak at best. Things certainly did feel rushed and in some cases thrown together, but in the end I still enjoyed the movie.

I look at it like I look at Family Guy. I know Family Guy isn't a well written show. The "plot" is just there to string together the clusterfuck of references and one-liners. At least the writers admit this, and I still laugh at it (most of the time, a lot of the jokes fall flat).

Same with this. The plot is there as an excuse to put a bunch of Beatles songs in a movie. The soundtrack is really the only thing the movie had going for it. Even with that, I had a good time watching it.

Personally, I don't really bother nitpicking plot points in musicals. After all, we're talking about a genre that features random people breaking into song and dance, and somehow everyone knows the lyrics and choreography, and no one seems to think this is strange. Realism flew out the window in the opening credits. :wink:

To me, there are just 2 types of musicals: Those I enjoy (Sweeny Todd, Across the Universe, Little Shop of Horrors, South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut), and those I don't (Grease 1 and 2, Eisner-era animated Disney movies with the exception of Aaddin)

devilsmaster
Org Profile

Post by devilsmaster » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 pm

I heared the beatles group but i dont know anything about this one.???????????/
Please visit my blog on
MP4 Videos

Return to “General Discussion”