Jazz and AMVs

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kiyoshimiko
Org Profile

Jazz and AMVs

Post by Kiyoshimiko » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:47 am

Hey all,

So I've been thinking a long time about doing an AMV along with one of my favorite Jazz tunes (either classic or contemporary). I just recently got into Jazz while joining the radio station at school, and I especially am interested in the Japanese jazz scene (Toshiko Akiyoshi, Sadao Watanabe, Tiger Okoshi, etc.), and since I'm visiting Japan for next semester I'll be able to learn even more :D

Anyway, I digress. So does anyone have any cool ideas about some great jazz tunes and some great anime series that would work well together? The main obstacle for such an undertaking is the length of many jazz compositions, but I think that can be handled. I've been thinking that one cool way to use the various instrument solos in a jazz piece would be to pair each of the main characters in your anime with one of the soloing instruments, which would be a cool way to bring out the personality of both the music and the anime being featured.

Sorry for rambling lol. An anime like "Cowboy Bebop" obviously is one of the prime candidates...but I wonder what other series would work? Personally, I'd love to see an AMV done to one of Coltrane's classics like "Moment's Notice" or "Blue Train," but that'd be pretty hard I imagine ^^ Feel free to post your thoughts here, and thanks in advance for the input. :)
My Second Video: <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 621">Enter the Wired</a>
My First Video: <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 7481">Rage Against the Dying of the Light</a>

DeinReich
Org Profile

Post by DeinReich » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:52 am

Not sure too much about jazz artists, but Metropolis would probably work well with jazz music. It work pretty well in the movie, at least.

the vampire alucard
Org Profile

Post by the vampire alucard » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:32 pm

i worked in music retail for 7 years and can name a few could jazz cds and artists and its stuff that i saw continuously sell and even played in the store i worked at.
here goes....

1. miles davis
album: kind of blue(1959)
this album is considered one of his top album he ever made it turned alot of people into jazz and influenced many famous musicians in different areas of music.

2. john coltrane
he made a lot of brilliant albums so a best of or a boxset of his best of is good to get lot of people have there opinion on which reg. album was the best. just either pick one. he was the same as miles davis big influence on everybody.

3.vince guaraldi
albums he did all of the peanuts/charlie brown tv series and movie specials best know charlie brown christmas, but there are other sdtks from other specials and he has done non peanut related albums as well.

4. getz/gilberto
album- getz gilberto
came out 1963 the album reeks of swave and cool. this is the record that introduced to the world the song girl from ipanema, its akickass record and is mellow and awesome record record to drink back to on a nice beach and smoke a nice cuban cigar. awesome tracks for if u are going top do romance or comedy.

5. cole porter
ive been told anything he's done is excellent havent heard to much myself but highly reviewed by others

6. jamie cullum
album-20 something
its a new record by a young fresh musican excellent production and grt songs also does a grt cover of the windcries mary(hendrix) very piano themed record

jazz breaks into so many areas u got big band(sinatra,dean martin,paul anka) u got instrumentalists , u got drum themed , horn themed, guitar,themed , vocals, fusion jazz there is alot out there try a few cd websites they hvae snippets or look up websites on artists, fansites
look up the website for verve records alot of artists have been on that label since .... lets just say its really up there. hope this was most informative .

sorry i tend to ramble a bit :lol:

the vampire alucard
Org Profile

Post by the vampire alucard » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:41 pm

oh ya the anime kinda forgot about thatthe getz record i recommended would work well with any comedy or romance anime depending on the track.

fruit basket probably
dears
naruto
samuri champloo
hellsing(that has a jazz type into song)

most hentai

Kiyoshimiko
Org Profile

Post by Kiyoshimiko » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:54 pm

Woah, thanks so much for the information :) Yeah, I should definitely check out more Stan Getz, I'm not too familiar with him yet. I'll also look into using one of those animes you listed once I get a feel for his music. Thanks again!
My Second Video: <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 621">Enter the Wired</a>
My First Video: <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 7481">Rage Against the Dying of the Light</a>

Jack Herer.unltd
Org Profile

Post by Jack Herer.unltd » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:22 pm

I have some projects using jazz, but, as you said, the biggest problem is jazz tunes often last more than 8 minutes.

I think Herbie Hancock made some not-too-long tunes (either in his jazz or funk period) that you could use (I have some ideas for cantaloup island).

I also thought about Cecil Taylor (i like his broken rythm), but editing a 17 minutes amv seems to a bit hard for me... may be for a multi-editor project.

For the anime, I abviously thought about cowboy bebop, but flcl can be interesting.

Kiyoshimiko
Org Profile

Post by Kiyoshimiko » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:45 pm

Hmm, FLCL would indeed be interesting. In terms of the music, I think I found a good Toshiko Akiyoshi piece I could use, and I think a good candidate for an anime would be MindGame (if you haven't seen it, GET it, Studio 4C is great ^^).

Return to “General Discussion”