music (almost) for free!

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Giton
Org Profile

music (almost) for free!

Post by Giton » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:01 pm

Hi there!

I recently discovered a new label which trys a new way of music distribution.
You can order all albums online - well sounds like an old idea, but these guys really get it the right way:

- You can preview all tracks in 128kbit or 24kbit quality mp3 (as often as you want to)
- You can tune in the totally free radio station

- An entire album costs 5-18$, the price is up to you!
- Artists get half of the price you are willing to pay

and best:

- You can download the tracks as WAVE, VBR-Mp3, OGG or FARC-file!

Although they feature mostly ambient and classical music, there is also some metal/hard rock/rock available.
Anyways check it out, since the idea is great and listening is totally free and legal :D

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:08 pm

Yes, but first...

....do tell us where, friend :wink:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Giton
Org Profile

Post by Giton » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:45 pm

Oh sorry,

http://www.magnatune.com

that's it.
I kew I forgot something... :roll:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:17 pm

Excellent.

I don't know how they make enough money off this, but so far I haven't seen any catches...

Can't comment much on the quality of the offered music, but just the fact that you can freely listen to a whole wackload of tracks without jumping any hurdles earns my respect.

Future of music? I don't know how or if this works, but I'd like to hope something like this would make it in today's industry...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

OtakuMegane
Org Profile

Post by OtakuMegane » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:10 pm

Otohiko wrote:Future of music? I don't know how or if this works, but I'd like to hope something like this would make it in today's industry...
ITunes Music Store. Not as "ideal" a system as this is, but it does prove such services can succeed in the music industry. This one sounds like a good deal.

As for the current state of iTunes, you have to consider the big picture. Give pay-per-song systems a year or two to grow, and then they can be signing up artists individually, or smaller(and fairer) companies. Artists get more money than they would with the big music corps, but nearly equal market exposure as CD sales continue to drop(making retail less-effective), and the Internet becomes a better market. Course, I prefer the optimistic view on it all.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:08 pm

Personally, I'm against the idea of track-by-track marketing. I guess I still listen to music where album>set-of-tracks.

But, I'm all for new methods of online distribution.

Return to “General Discussion”