AMV Maturity >> Music Maturity

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
SephirothJenova
Org Profile

AMV Maturity >> Music Maturity

Post by SephirothJenova » Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:55 pm

Well, I have sorta noticed a trend for the past couple of months in this website. As many creators become more knowledgable about anime music videos, their type of videos change. Most people start out as Action creators, then Drama creators, and finally Fun/Dance creators. People's tastes of AMVs change as they grow. Does this apply to the music that people listen to also? Do people change the music that they listen to as they grow? Like a person listens to Linkin Park, then Sarah Brightman, and finally Elissa (Odorikuruu)? It's just something small that I've been noticing in creators on this website. It doesn't really apply to non-creators.

Sephiroth
<a href="http://www.rockmanvortex.com/sephiroth">Fantasy Studios</a>

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:06 pm

One thing: I'll never do a "fun" or a "comedy" video. I just can't bring myself to do something like...that. I like depressing, emotional, dark stuff. Maybe I'm screwed up.

As far as tastes in music goes: Sure, that applies to anybody, and I wouldn't really call Linkin Park "lower" on the maturity ladder than Sarah Brightman. I like S.B. a hell of a lot more than I'll ever like L.P (can you believe it? she can actually SING! :P ) but hey, you can't really judge somebody's level of growth by the kind of music they listen to.

IMO.

BigshotSpike
Org Profile

Post by BigshotSpike » Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:15 pm

I've tried doing a "fun" video before (my Shaft video) but it wasn't really my style. I can't really do anything comedic becuase I'm not really a funny type of person. I tend to take things very seriously and don't like to good around.
Thus my videos aren't very upbeat. All of my videos are drama videos, some more depressing than others(my latest Jin-Roh video is probably my most depressing video) . I've done two AMVs that have uplifting music but the videos weren't happy-go-lucky.

The type of music I've listened to never really changed, though it evolved. For instance, I only used to listen to Moby for electronic music but now I've gotten into Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada.

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:33 pm

And I'm totally confused why a J-pop artist (?) is more "mature" than classical. :?

Anyhow err, if I understand the question right - I think most people do, and ideally they do, shift tastes as they mature. I certainly did, and although I still <i>like</i> a lot of the stuff I listened to at 14 or 16, it doesn't have as much emotional resonance to me as it does now.

And then, on the other hand, some things stick with you. I first got Depeche Mode's <i>Violator</i> when I was 15, and I've been listening to it for the last ten years (heh, not continually).

And AMVs would just reflect that. As your musical tastes shift, your AMVing - as most people make videos for the songs they like - would shift along with it.

Hope that was relevant. O_o

Neptune L`amour
Org Profile

Post by Neptune L`amour » Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:33 am

Maybe rather then there music "growing" over the years with them people just get tired of listening to it and buy something else? Not very philosophical answer but well as they say "When you hear horses don't think zebras thing horses."
"I'm not racist, and that gives me the right to make fun of many, many races." - Adam Corola

Mr. Bucket
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Bucket » Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:08 am

Dont ever stop!!

rubyeye
Org Profile

Re: AMV Maturity >> Music Maturity

Post by rubyeye » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:12 am

SephirothJenova wrote:Well, I have sorta noticed a trend for the past couple of months in this website. As many creators become more knowledgable about anime music videos, their type of videos change. Most people start out as Action creators, then Drama creators, and finally Fun/Dance creators. People's tastes of AMVs change as they grow. Does this apply to the music that people listen to also? Do people change the music that they listen to as they grow? Like a person listens to Linkin Park, then Sarah Brightman, and finally Elissa (Odorikuruu)? It's just something small that I've been noticing in creators on this website. It doesn't really apply to non-creators.

Sephiroth

Taste in Videos varies with music and I can certainly tell you that my taste in music has seriously changed with the times:
This is the order in which I started my musical journey-

Paula Abdul (remember her)
Richard Marx
Def Leppard
Skid Row, Motley Crue, etc. (hair bands)
Metallica, Megadeth (heavy Metal)
Fates Warning, Queensryche, Dream Theater (progressive Metal)

today. . . the new breed in Prog/Power Metal -
Kamelot, Threshold, Symphony X, Magnitude 9, Angra, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, and one sophisticated, independent artist - Bjorn Lynne (Divinorum).

nailz
Org Profile

Post by nailz » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:40 am

AMV's have introduced me to one or 2 new bands, but They havent influenced my change in music likes much at all. All of that credit goes to the people on the blind guardian forums.

as far as video, All of them, with 3 exceptions are drama. I cant help but add some drama if i'm SERIOUSLY creating a video. (Rollin', MK, and Eva Meets Cleo were simply fun videos.)

I can do comedy, if its short, but I couldn't do dance. I simply dont have the patience for those kinds of anime.
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

Schu no ko
Org Profile

Post by Schu no ko » Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:37 pm

What I notice is that lots of first videos tend to be songs that people have used before. As experience grows, people tend to want to make their video stand out and so use a more unique song. That's what I think, anyway. *leaves two pennies on the table*

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Re: AMV Maturity >> Music Maturity

Post by Kai Stromler » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:16 am

SephirothJenova wrote:Well, I have sorta noticed a trend for the past couple of months in this website. As many creators become more knowledgable about anime music videos, their type of videos change. Most people start out as Action creators, then Drama creators, and finally Fun/Dance creators. People's tastes of AMVs change as they grow. Does this apply to the music that people listen to also? Do people change the music that they listen to as they grow? Like a person listens to Linkin Park, then Sarah Brightman, and finally Elissa (Odorikuruu)? It's just something small that I've been noticing in creators on this website. It doesn't really apply to non-creators.

Sephiroth
What you're really seeing, I think, is a tendency of people to push their video editing skills more and more as they develop, learn the ins and outs of their editor, and get more experience.

Action and cheap comedy videos are easy. There is a lot of action in a lot of anime, and a lot of easy sight gags that require only a modest amount of skill to cobble into a decent video. This isn't to say that it's not possible to push your skills to the limit and make a world-beating action video, but just that such effort is not *required* to make a video that doesn't look like crap.

Drama is a little harder, and requires more scene selection skill, especially if the video is going to be able to stand on its own rather than working off people's prior knowledge of the anime, a test that too many drama vids still fail.

Dance and hypercut/masked comedy videos are the hardest of all, requiring frame-by-frame precision and an intimate knolwedge of the editing environment, to say nothing of long editing experience and encyclopediac knowledge of effects and their capabilities.

Of course, you already knew this, and indeed commented on it. But the thing is that the music has to match up to the concept of the video. What's appropriate for a dance video may not be appropriate to action or drama. It follows that if people are going to push their skills, they're going to use music that works with the video concepts they're working with. Simple as that. Not having access to people's personal winamp or whatever playlists but only their selection of music over their published videos, it certainly looks like tastes are changing, but it's just an effect based on their skills.

You might try looking at some of the more prolific creators, like Kusoyaro or (shameless and really undeserved self-promotion) me [Kai Stromler]; with 40+ videos, music selection is all over the map and follows no trends of development at all.

--Kai
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

Return to “General Discussion”