what song got u interested in your favorite band(s) ???

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
grayplague
Org Profile

what song got u interested in your favorite band(s) ???

Post by grayplague » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:25 pm

well, (as some ppl may already know) my favorite band is 311.

The song which got me interested in them was "Do You Right" off of their first Capricorn release, Music. That was way back in '94.

In fact, it was the following verse:

"Free from the burn the burn that helps spite and
Free from the burn now baby dib your price
No buzz hack, no buzz hack
No buzz hack, no buzz hack
Swing the thing you bring check it out
How could you be so good to me
How could you be so good to me
I want to be worth
I want to be worth
Buzz hack hack hack buzz
Yea swing to the thing you bring
Check it out
"
/::.:.. <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... er_id=1190" target="#new"><b>my profile</b></a> ..:.::/|/::.:.. <a href="http://www.ijouhassei.com" target="#new"><b>my site</b></a> ..:.::/

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:53 pm

"Megalomaniac" by KMFDM opened my eyes to stuff beyond the pop crap on the radio.

this is counterculture
from the underground
eternal revolution
this is how it sounds
K-M-F-D-M,better than the best
Megalomaniacal and harder than the rest

It was mostly the grinding synth that got me into it.
I'm out...

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:31 pm

Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?", like darn near everyone else who gets to like them (it's as close to a hit as they ever had). I first noticed it in <i>The Wedding Singer</i>, I hate to say. >_<;; Then heard it on the radio during a "prehistoric" hour *stabs the new rock format with a pen*... and also a visitor to the site I had then, who I just thought was the coolest thing ever, was a really huge Smiths fan, and on his recommendation I picked up <i>Hatful of Hollow</i>. Yay.

U2 - "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me". From the Batman ...Forever? something? soundtrack, which I bought with part of my graduation money (it was released the day I graduated from high school. :P) I'd gotten it for "Kiss from a Rose", which had not yet been played to death, but HMTMKMKM impressed me as well. Plus the video reigns supreme, but I didn't know that at the time. :twisted:

Depeche Mode - "Policy of Truth". Heard on the radio, picked up the <i>Violator</i> tape at the tender age of 15 having half remembered that song. Ah. Love. First step toward my current tastes, I think.

Erm... Erasure was "Run to the Sun", but no one's heard of them (only one minor dancey-pop hit that I don't even like [Alllllways, I wanna beee with you, and make belieeeeve with you, and live in harmony, harmony...] and "Chains of Love", a song from the 80s people only vaaaaaaguely remember) ...so. *cough* I'll skip 'em.

BNL was the entirety of <i>Rock Spectacle</i>, borrowed from my sister; Steve's voice did me in. *drools* And Ben Folds Five was "Battle of Who Could Care Less", also heard on the radio.

And that's most of the top ten, because I'm rambly. :P

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:32 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot KMFDM was right before my post. I guess that means you have to beat me to a pulp. :D

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:30 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote:Erm... Erasure was "Run to the Sun", but no one's heard of them (only one minor dancey-pop hit that I don't even like [Alllllways, I wanna beee with you, and make belieeeeve with you, and live in harmony, harmony...] and "Chains of Love", a song from the 80s people only vaaaaaaguely remember) ...so. *cough* I'll skip 'em.
Bah, anybody who grew up on 80's synth-pop would know Erasure!

Of course, then again I suppose there's not too many people here who grew up on 80's synth-pop. Oh well.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:50 pm

Hmm... had to think hard about this one.

Metallica - "Unforgiven," it really surprised me. I hadn't expected anything but really hard, incomprehensible metal. I was probably about 10 so I didn't like much really fast or heavy music. Now I prefer the older Metallica.

U2 - "New Year's Day," I think this was just the first song of their's I'd heard. I loved it, I got more, I liked U2.

Pink Floyd - "One of These Days," this song reminded of a video game I had played and loved. The game was Lunar, the first one for SegaCD. And then the middle of the song scared me. But it was soooo cool.

Enya - "Orinoco Flow," this song was so happy and upbeat. It was my first change in music from Metallica and it was so different and made me feel good.

Blind Guardian - "Mordred's Song," I first thought this was just a cool song. Then I later realized that it's about Mordred from Arthurian legends. Music based on written fantasy totally enthralled me.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

FoolThemAll
Org Profile

Post by FoolThemAll » Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:06 pm

For my three favorite bands:

Tom Petty - "Free Fallin". This is actually the first (non-kids music) song I ever liked. I learned to play it on my flutophone in third grade, lol.

Stone Temple Pilots - "Plush". My favorite's "Trippin'...", but this song is what got me interested in them.

Finger Eleven - "Quicksand". Still my favorite, too, to this day.[/b]

Rozard
Org Profile

Re: what song got u interested in your favorite band(s) ???

Post by Rozard » Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:56 pm

grayplague wrote:well, (as some ppl may already know) my favorite band is 311.

The song which got me interested in them was "Do You Right" off of their first Capricorn release, Music. That was way back in '94.
Even though 311 is my favorite band, when I first heard of them, I didn't like them. I almost hated them. I didn't understand the whole rap/rock fusion, plus I thought the video for Down was really trippy. (Hey, I was 12!) But when I heard Beautiful Disaster for the first time, I was captivated by it: the spacey melody, the wailing guitar duet, the simple-yet-hard bass riff; it had it all. Then when Come Original, that was just the thing I was looking for. I loved the predominant reggae element of the song, but I think the lyrics spoke more to me. I was going through a transistion in my life, becoming my own person, and I thought the song was just the thing I needed to hear. I adopted it as my theme song! :D 3 years later, I love 311 even more, and I'm glad they could be a driving force in my life. Peace!
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

Return to “General Discussion”