The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu May 21, 2015 2:58 pm

Ileia wrote:
Phade wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:While I'm currently poor as all hell, I'll do my best to donate at least $1 for every video listed on my profile....
69 :ying:
That's the spirit! If everyone donated $1 for every video they hosted here, we wouldn't need another fund raiser for the next 10 years!! :-D
RIP my wallet...

(I'll see what I can do! <3 )

"We've got new servers but Ileia now lives on the streets."

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Ileia wrote:
Phade wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:While I'm currently poor as all hell, I'll do my best to donate at least $1 for every video listed on my profile....
69 :ying:
That's the spirit! If everyone donated $1 for every video they hosted here, we wouldn't need another fund raiser for the next 10 years!! :-D
RIP my wallet...

(I'll see what I can do! <3 )
IKR. I'm just counted mine and I'd have to donate 62 :uhoh: . But I'm sure your count is probably one of the highest on the org :lol: I think that it would be pretty cool to do a public challenge where you had to donate $1 for every vid you have cataloged (including MEPs). It could be like the ice bucket challenge where you would have to upload a vid to youtube if you choose not to donate. I was never a fan of the idea of pouring ice on yourself, but requiring someone to make a org promotion vid if they pass on the challenge would be cool (kinda like the org promo vids that came out of that Project Org Editor round a few years ago).

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Thu May 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Phade wrote:
Niotex wrote:I've stated this before, it's not hard to spec and price out a server. You can literally go to a website right now, add components to your cart and see how much it would cost including warranty. Additionally you can see how much rack space would cost, they have prices listed for this purpose. Telling the community what they're paying for and why that specific setup goes a long way.

And as asked before and promptly ignored, which is what Xophilarus could reffer to.
Niotex wrote:If you're wanting to do this and take the redesign on, I think it's only fair to be completely transparent. On both the hardware and the software platform side of things, as even a new low end server would be a huge leap in system resources. In short, what are you planning that would warrant a relatively speaking high end rack?
I am always open to suggestions on what people think should be done. Longevity is currently the goal with a physical server. We shouldn't buy for the now; we should buy for the future. I'd like to get something that we can put in place and not have to touch for many, many years no matter what we do with it. We have done this before (2009) and now doing it again now at half the cost seems extremely reasonable to me. I looked at several sites for servers including getting servers through business discounts at Dell and HP. Derobert suggested this server since he has purchased from there before and had a really good experience:

http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i57631/ ... server.php

If you would like to help coordinate server alternatives, I will really appreciate the help! One idea that has been tossed around is cloud-based servers and hosting. I know they are getting popular, but I am not familiar with how to plan for a cloud-based setup for the functions we need: web server, database server, search database server, video streaming server, bulk storage server. How much does that cost? How do we have a steady budget with no overages? How do we make sure the cloud host doesn't go poof? The last thing I want to happen is move to a cloud environment and then suddenly costs spike due to useage and we're skrewed or we have to get rid of site functionality because now we're paying for compute cycles instead of just plain power and bandwidth.

I've always liked the "you get this physical space, power, unlimited bandwidth," which is what we use now. We'll probably stick with this plan unless something solidly better comes along (I'm always up for something solidly better :-)).
Here's my idea: Why not go with something like DotBlock for the web server, DB, search, forums, etc. It would involve a monthly fee, but it would still be a lot cheaper overall than buying a bunch of new servers and worrying about hardware replacements if things go wrong. The savings could help make sure that enough hot-spares are on hand for the actual storage/streaming servers so that if things go tits-up, it's covered with no worries. Using a VPS for everything that isn't storage-intensive would save money and eliminate having to buy new hardware ever again.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Thu May 21, 2015 3:28 pm

kireblue wrote:
Ileia wrote:
Phade wrote:If everyone donated $1 for every video they hosted here, we wouldn't need another fund raiser for the next 10 years!! :-D
RIP my wallet...
IKR. I'm just counted mine and I'd have to donate 62 :uhoh:
There are about 16 people (at least in the truncated top list I have here) with over 100 videos, and only about a third of those have ever donated. :uhoh:
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu May 21, 2015 3:33 pm

dokidoki wrote:
kireblue wrote:
Ileia wrote:
Phade wrote:If everyone donated $1 for every video they hosted here, we wouldn't need another fund raiser for the next 10 years!! :-D
RIP my wallet...
IKR. I'm just counted mine and I'd have to donate 62 :uhoh:
There are about 16 people (at least in the truncated top list I have here) with over 100 videos, and only about a third of those have ever donated. :uhoh:
What jerks! I bet they smell of old cheese. :dino:

Also, suggestion for donator rewards~ If certain editors/artists want to volunteer we can offer videos and cool pictures as bonuses for certain dollar amounts.

Ex.
EditorMcGee volunteers to make any AMV for the first person to donate $50.
ArtistMcSwag volunteers to do a cool drawing of whatever the first person to donate $70 wants.

The community helping the community with what we do. :P

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu May 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Hey so uh completely unrelated but can someone give me $1,000? It's for...research :uhoh:

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Thu May 21, 2015 9:52 pm

So what happens if even the halfway mark isn't met? Would people be given their money back, or would you move forward with purchasing the server anyway? Like Koop said, I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but if I'm going to contribute I'd like to know what will happen to my money. :P
:ying:

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Phade wrote:
Niotex wrote:I've stated this before, it's not hard to spec and price out a server. You can literally go to a website right now, add components to your cart and see how much it would cost including warranty. Additionally you can see how much rack space would cost, they have prices listed for this purpose. Telling the community what they're paying for and why that specific setup goes a long way.

And as asked before and promptly ignored, which is what Xophilarus could reffer to.
Niotex wrote:If you're wanting to do this and take the redesign on, I think it's only fair to be completely transparent. On both the hardware and the software platform side of things, as even a new low end server would be a huge leap in system resources. In short, what are you planning that would warrant a relatively speaking high end rack?
I am always open to suggestions on what people think should be done. Longevity is currently the goal with a physical server. We shouldn't buy for the now; we should buy for the future. I'd like to get something that we can put in place and not have to touch for many, many years no matter what we do with it. We have done this before (2009) and now doing it again now at half the cost seems extremely reasonable to me. I looked at several sites for servers including getting servers through business discounts at Dell and HP. Derobert suggested this server since he has purchased from there before and had a really good experience:

http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i57631/ ... server.php

If you would like to help coordinate server alternatives, I will really appreciate the help! One idea that has been tossed around is cloud-based servers and hosting. I know they are getting popular, but I am not familiar with how to plan for a cloud-based setup for the functions we need: web server, database server, search database server, video streaming server, bulk storage server. How much does that cost? How do we have a steady budget with no overages? How do we make sure the cloud host doesn't go poof? The last thing I want to happen is move to a cloud environment and then suddenly costs spike due to useage and we're skrewed or we have to get rid of site functionality because now we're paying for compute cycles instead of just plain power and bandwidth.

I've always liked the "you get this physical space, power, unlimited bandwidth," which is what we use now. We'll probably stick with this plan unless something solidly better comes along (I'm always up for something solidly better :-)).
See that's a lot more on track to what people expect from a physical space. However even then it's on the high end side of things considering it'll host a port of the current system and ultimately an optimized rewrite. Completely filled out your suggested rack with 5 year warranty and advance part replacement and what you're looking at is still only 9k. Where do the other 3 to 6000 that you're asking for factor in?

That being said, you're being a lot more forthcoming and open than the likes of GQ so that's refreshing for once.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu May 21, 2015 10:04 pm

aesling wrote:So what happens if even the halfway mark isn't met? Would people be given their money back, or would you move forward with purchasing the server anyway? Like Koop said, I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but if I'm going to contribute I'd like to know what will happen to my money. :P
The servers must be replaced; there is no other option. Whatever funds are collected will go towards a new server. If we only get half our goal, we get a new but not quite as nice server (not as redundant, cheaper parts, might last only 3 years instead of 6 like our current ones). No matter what, the servers are getting replaced. All donations go to this effort. No exceptions.

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Thu May 21, 2015 10:42 pm

i donated to the original golden donut long ago, so i should probably donate to this. can we call it the platinum donut or diamond donut?

Return to “Site Announcements”